Gold Gourami With Chronic Condition

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Starr100

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question regarding one of my female Gold Gourami. Its not an emergency as her affliction has been with her since i have gotten her (over a year now) but i am curious with peoples opinion on her affliction.

She has a red lump at the end of her spine, at the point where the main body attaches to the tail, now most of the time its just barely visible, but about once every 1-2 months the red lump gets bigger and several white puss pockets form, after a few days the pockets break and the red swelling goes down. and again the spot becomes dormant it cycles like this and as mentioned before, has been doing so over a year now. i have treated with parasitic and bacterial medicines, yet all that seems to do is cause the spot to enter a dormant stage and then reoccur a few months later. Now i think im the only one fretting about this as my gourami does not even act as though somethings wrong. even when the cycle is at its worst, she still is completely normal, very active, eats fine. She does NOT even flash or scratch against the ground or plants. Again she is completely oblivious to the sore. Also there has not been any negative impacts on other fish in the aquarium. 

I am simply curious as what the source of her Chronic condition might be.

What medications have you used please?. How long did you medicate for?
If you don't fully get rid of the bacteria it can keep coming back.
Does the red spot look smooth, or look like a cluster of eggs, or cauliflower?

for the parisite med i used prazi pro, treated once for seven days (what it said on the bottle)
for the antibacteria i used melafix, dosed daily for seven days (what it said on the bottle) -(note i cant use some meds in my tank unless i move the fish to a quarunteen tank as its live planted)

again, they did not seem to have an affect on the afliction.

As for the sore, when it is dormant is a smooth round pale red bump, very gradual, not like a cyst. it looks like a boil.
 when active, the sore is a more vibrant red, slightly larger, but still smooth, with 1-2 small white puss sacs on the outside (looks like a pimple with white heads)

Melafix is no good it's only external antiseptic medication. 

You need to isolate and use an antibiotic like Maracyn Plus, or Tetracycline.

Vibrosis

stethoscope.jpg

Symptoms:

The signs of vibriosis are similar to many other bacterial diseases of fish. They usually start with lethargy and a loss of appetite. As the disease progresses, the skin may become discolored, red and necrotic (dead). Boil-like sores may appear on the body, occasionally breaking through the skin surface resulting in large, open sores. Bloody blotches (erythema) are common around the fins and mouth. When the disease becomes systemic, it can cause exophthalmia ("pop-eye"), and the gut and rectum may be bloody and filled with fluid. It should be noted that all of these "signs" can be caused by other bacterial diseases, and are not proof of a Vibrio infection.

microscope.jpg

Cause: 

The bacterium Vibrio parahaemolyticusVibrio bacteria are common in the gut of healthy fish, however, stress can give these bacteria a foothold and allow them to spread rapidly. If they are allowed to reproduce unchecked, they can cause the above symptoms in their host. Under certain conditions, the bacteria may be capable of crossing the intestinal wall, resulting in a systemic infection.

Rx.jpg

Treatment: 

Before beginning treatment, ensure that the water quality and your aquarium maintence routines are good. Removal of underlying problems is essential to successful therapy. Often, improving the water quality will be sufficient to control the infection. Notwithstanding, it is strongly recommended that you treat the fish with medicated food containing either Terramycin or Romet. Terramycin contains the antibiotic oxytetracycline and is sold for fish in a sinking feed and should be fed for 10 days. Romet is a potentiated sulfonamide which contains two drugs, sulfadimethoxine and ormetoprim. It is sold for fish in a floating feed and should be fed for 5 days. Either drug will be effective if the strain of Vibrio is sensitive to it and if sick fish ingest enough medication to maintain the drug in the bloodstream throughout the treatment period. Alternatively, these medications could be delivered by injection instead via food.

Should of explained more in my previous post about Melafix.
It will treat external injuries but it won't treat internal bacteria infections.

i guess the only thing about the disease mentioned above is that it starts with fish loosing appitite, and becoming sicker....my fish has had this since the day i brought her home (i couldent see it in the display tank) she has no symptoms other than visual and is very healthy, and has had no negative impacts of this infection, even when i dont treat it, goes away on its own after a few days and and then comes back a month later, this cycling has been occuring for over a year

The fish don't have to show all the symptoms/.
To stop it coming back I would treat the fish in isolation with an antibiotic. As one day it
might get to the stage where the fish immune system might not be able to fight it off.
Hopefully the antibiotic should clear it for good.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back