"Gold" cardinals?

Reaction score
I saw some fish labelled "gold cardinal tetras" in a lfs today. I don't think they're dyed because I've never seen dyed fish there, but I've also never heard of this fish, and did a search on google and couldn't find them there either.

Instead of being blue on top and red underneath, they are a kind of gold colour on the top, but still red underneath. Anyone heard of / seen these before?

Was it the Gold Tetra Hemigrammus rodwayi?

Does it look like this

01%20tetra_gold.jpg

Ryan & psgill00 - no it wasn't the gold tetra. The underside was definitely as red as a normal cardinal, and the fish was the same shape. Sounds like they're the selectively bred ones Frank mentions; I've never come across them before.

Did you get some, i've never heard of those, but they sound really nice...Buy it and take some pics.....and post it :D

:D As a matter of fact I'm planning to get some cardinals this weekend, but that's not the lfs I'm going to use. Though it's tempting! Maybe just one! I don't know whether they'd let me take pictures in the shop. Perhaps if I pretended to be a reporter from a fishkeeping mag... :shifty: in fact I might even get a free one then!

Well, I was tempted and I gave into temptation :p I'm now the proud owner of three gold cardinals. Have just tried to take some pics, but it's the first time I've tried fish pics and I'm not sure how they're going to look when I've downloaded them...

edit: Posted some now but they're not very good; maybe you'll get the idea, maybe not!! The fish are very pretty though!

Most reactions

Back