Glow-Lite Tetras

Mustang5L5

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have 4 glow-lites in my tank. From body shape, it appears two are males and two are females. Well lately both females have swelled up a little.

The other day i noticed the two males chasing each other around. Then later in the day i noticed 1 male and one female swimming around and bumping into each other as if doing a weird little dance.

This morning i the two males chasing 1 female again.

I watched carefully and never noticed any eggs dropped. The females bellies are still quite large.

Is it common for glow-lites to breed in a community tank? What are their requirements?

In the case that they did, i would not expect any eggs to live. The other fish pick through the gravel like a comb.

Glowlights are one of the easiest tetras to breed. If the conditions are to their liking, then they'll get right on with it. In a community tank, eggs, and newly hatched fry stand little chance.

In a small breeding tank, the fry hatch after 24-30 hours and are free swimming 5 or so days later. They are small and need infusoria until they are large enough to take newly hatched BS and fine powdered food. That said, they are not difficult to raise.

Most reactions

Back