Glofish®

My whole view on the situation is that they shouldn't exist. Altering any animal/bird/fish at the genetic level is wrong. I feel the same way about hybrids like flowerhorn as well.
 
My whole view on the situation is that they shouldn't exist. Altering any animal/bird/fish at the genetic level is wrong. I feel the same way about hybrids like flowerhorn as well.

Fail

Put me down for 6.
Question, If I feed them to my ***** will her eyes light up?
And Genetics as opposed to what, physical testing?
 
yea yea yea.. If they could genetically engineer you guys girlfriends you wouldnt be against it. These fish were developed to detect water pollution. They have been around for 50 years.
 
Personally I think that this genetic modification is less objectionable than some of the fish that have been achieved by 'natural' methods, namely selective inbreeding. Artificially coloured fish are fairly tacky in my opinion and I much prefer the original danio, but the hybrid and selectively bred fish actually suffer and are far worse off. Personally I would rather the market be flooded with fish genetically modified with harmless genes, than with goldfish that cannot swim, cannot see or have cancerous growths on their heads, with guppies and bettas that cannot hold themselves up due to the weight of the fins, and with hybrids like the blood parrot and bizarre strains like the balloon molly with twisted spines and fins.

I also think the original use of glowing zebra danios, the detection of water pollution, is a bit unrealistic. How exactly are they going to remove a fish as adaptable and hardy as a zebra from a waterway where it does not belong, without polluting the waterway more trying to poison it?
 
I also think the original use of glowing zebra danios, the detection of water pollution, is a bit unrealistic. How exactly are they going to remove a fish as adaptable and hardy as a zebra from a waterway where it does not belong, without polluting the waterway more trying to poison it?

They aren't used in open waterways, but segments of industrial water systems, where they can't (usually) escape. They're maintained in these systems for their entire life. Fish have been used in this manner for many years, but historically sensitive species are used and the indicator is that they die, rather than a change in color.
 
I also think the original use of glowing zebra danios, the detection of water pollution, is a bit unrealistic. How exactly are they going to remove a fish as adaptable and hardy as a zebra from a waterway where it does not belong, without polluting the waterway more trying to poison it?

They aren't used in open waterways, but segments of industrial water systems, where they can't (usually) escape. They're maintained in these systems for their entire life. Fish have been used in this manner for many years, but historically sensitive species are used and the indicator is that they die, rather than a change in color.


Also, we all know how hard it is to get fish to breed in our well maintained tanks. Imagine trying to breed danios in a dirty pollouted cold waterway.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top