Glofish playing tag?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Moonweaver

Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I got three glow fish tetras as a gift from a person who was moving. They just started getting used to the new environment (We also got their old tank + decor and food) They came with a CAE who's really friendly. One fish is constantly chasing the other, and we're not sure if it's just mating or something. He chases her for many hours a day. Just wondering if anyone else has the same problem! I can provide pictures and videos if wanted <3

Hello, and welcome to the forum! :hi:

A picture would be nice, maybe a short 20 second video. Also, what are your water parameters?

How long has the tank been setup?

What size tank do you have?

Does your tank have a heater?

A lot of questions, but they should help you. :)

I have this problem with my two Glo Zebra Danios the bigger one is always making the smaller one hide. I read that not having enough in a school could cause that but I don't know.

GlowFish Danios, should be in groups of 6 or more without that many, they can get stressed. :)

Yeah, that's what I read so I'm upgrading to my brothers old 29 gallon tank so I can have more room for more of them.

As mentioned danios should be kept in groups of at least 6. If your tank is big enough more is better. Your glofish are most likely genetically modified zebra danios (Danio rerio) so you could get a group of these to go with yours as they are the same species (and probably a lot cheaper).

If you post a pic of your fish someone will confirm if they are zebra danio.

Right now I have a ten gallon but it has a pleco in it so I'm upgrading to accommodate him and a few more glofish.

Here's a picture of one, as I said originally they are tetras.

Attachments

• 15645151192983351326780056771162.jpg
    15645151192983351326780056771162.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 99
The need for a group applies to tetras as well as danios, and to barbs and rasboras too, and many other fish that are by nature shoaling. Without the group, they are stressed and aggressive behaviour often occurs.

Yes, the same rule “6 or more” applies to GloFish Tetras as well. :)

You don't have to buy gloFish though,. They will mix in with normal coloured teras of the same species. I'm not sure but yours looks a bit like a black widow tetra. I'm not a fan of genetically modified fish.

Neither am I, but the same kind of fish, get along with the same kind of fish. (Expect bettas, they don’t get along.....) :lol:

You don't have to buy gloFish though,. They will mix in with normal coloured teras of the same species. I'm not sure but yours looks a bit like a black widow tetra. I'm not a fan of genetically modified fish.
Those are *** skirt tetra. *** Can be white, black or gold as well as a lot of artificially created colours. They are all the same species so any ***skirt tetra will do.

Black/white skirt tetras and black/white widow tetras are the same species, Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, just that some places call them skirt tetras and some call them widow tetras.

Most reactions

trending

Back