Glo-fish Breeding

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

justincguin

Reaction score
Okay i know i just saw my male and female glo-fish spawn.. or atleast saw the male attempt to. I have them in with some neons in a 10gal. I have gravel as well. I'm wondering how or what i should do to save the eggs from getting eaten.. I don't think she has laid them yet, but it would be hard for me to see them anyway so what should i do?

they are just zebra danios... only geneticaly modified to have a bright chromosone from a jellyfish in them

therefore they would spawn in the usual fashion of zebra danios, i dont know this, but im sure a quick google search or post on the correct forum would do.

They are GM Danio's, they breed the same adn everything, the only difference is that the babies will be the color of the parents.

I hope this helps you, I speak from personal experience only:
Here's what you do to spawn Zebra Danios:

1. Move prospective female to a separate breeding tank (6-10 gallon will be fine for now) with spawning mops. You'll need to use acrylic yarn and you'll need 10-20 spawning mops. This is a spawning mop:
100_0925.jpg

2.Put the male in with the female after a day of her becoming acclimated. Acclimate her slowly and completely, make sure she's not shocked by the temp or ph in the breeding tank. Try to put the breeding tank in a low traffic area (not too many people or pets around) to keep their stress down.
The tank should look like this:
100_0962.jpg

3. The happier and more well fed the pair is, the better they will breed. You can tell they are breeding if you see the male chasing the female, pushing her into the spawning mop, and wiggling in place. Once you see this occurring and you see confirmation of eggs, remove the adults immediately since they will eat them without hesitation.

4. Be prepared to feed 50-100 tiny tiny fry in a couple days. They will need to be fed commercial Liqui-Fry or something similar. For the first few weeks I fed my fry a combination of very finely crushed flakes or also a bit of hardboiled egg yolk in a small jar of aquarium water shaken or stirred very well. Then feed the mixture with an eye dropper. Just a few drops because this will dirty the water quickly. Keep the lights on for 14 hours a day at first so they can see their food. Keep temp between 75-80 degrees. Prevent them from becoming chilled.

My zebra danio fry are now 1 month old and you can see all their fins and some solid stripes. In a few more weeks I will be moving them to a bigger tank with more room so that they properly develop. You can use those 22 gal Rubbermaid totes as grow out tanks if you have nothing else. Just make sure to keep them warm and well fed. You will need an established sponge filter for their breeding tank and grow out tank.

Got any pics of your baby glo-fish? Beautiful breeder tank set up!!!!!!!!!

No, I don't have Glo-fish, just regular zebra danios. However their dad is quite pink... I will get pictures soon hopefully, I have to develop them since my digi cam seems to not want to take clear close ups of the kids. Maybe for Christmas I'll get a good camera :shifty:

And thank you for the nice comment! I had a ton of help from mikedmatthews over at petfish.net, I think I asked questions 2or 3 times a day lol

Okay i know i just saw my male and female glo-fish spawn..

From what i've heard that is impossible, glo-fish are all infertile to prevent an ecological disaster incase of any accidental escapees. I've seen 3 shows on how they are made an all say the same thing they cant breed. Regular zebra danios (aka non-dyed glo fish) can breed though.

Okay i know i just saw my male and female glo-fish spawn..

From what i've heard that is impossible, glo-fish are all infertile to prevent an ecological disaster incase of any accidental escapees. I've seen 3 shows on how they are made an all say the same thing they cant breed. Regular zebra danios (aka non-dyed glo fish) can breed though.

Well they can and do so you heard wrong.

Well they can and do so you heard wrong.

Well, your gonna have to post some information than here for me to read cause this is news to me and many others. I also see you live in the U.K., mabye your glo-fish are from a different source than the ones here in the U.S.?

I am willing to believe they might try and mate, but nothing will come of it.

I personally know several people who have bred them, they are not infertile. Crossing color varieties gives you blues & purples.

The point is, if they were infertile, they'd have to modify every single egg, at a ridiculous cost and effort. Which clearly t'aint the case.

Not seen a glo-fish before, do they glow in the dark?

Jake

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back