Glass Ghost Catfish?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Lisa67

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I find these fish fascinating, but I have no experience with them.  I've read everything from "they are a great beginner fish" to "they usually don't survive the trip home from the pet store."   I'd like as much info as possible before I consider them for my 75 gal, under-stocked  community tank.

They're not so delicate that they won't survive the trip home :)

The main problem with them is that they are a very shy fish and need peaceful tankmates, a well planted tank and a large-ish shoal of friends, or they just hide and won't get enough to eat.

I wouldn't recommend keeping them in groups of less than nine, personally. Mine live with false neons and marbled hatchetfish. They still hide most of the time, under the Java fern, which is their 'spot' (they do like to have a nice shady spot to hang out in!), but there's usually one or two pootling around the tank.

When they're happy, they are quite hardy, IME; but if they're stressed or unhappy they just 'fade away'.

Like emo says I would not have less than 9, thats how many I have. They tend to sit in the corner of my tank 240l and only come out in the evening or when there is food about. They get on well with my neons and peppered corys. I have found that they are quite hardy when content, there is no reason they wouldn't survive a trip home from the LFS providing its not hours away.
Good luck and I hope you get them & enjoy them like I do.

Ok, this is a definite possibility.  There are currently only a school of small tetras and 2 bolivian rams in the 75 gal tank.  I need some java fern!

Any broad leaved plant would do :) They just like a nice shady spot to hang out, and my Amazon sword has died off, so I stuck some Java fern on a rock for them!

i had a group of six for over 2 years with no plants due a pleco that likes gardening plants.

over the two years sadly i lost three then the other week sadly i lost the last three due to a massive ammonia spike.once i get my tank water correct i am going to get another group of them as they are great fish

i run two external filters,one on each end of tank and i found that the group were always in the middle of tank were the water flow meets.

found that if water temp is to low or if they get ill they go a little patchy white,just turn temp up a little just for a week until they are clear again

Most reactions

trending

Back