April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I think I give up on trying to keep goldfish in a community setting. My first (and last) goldfish was just placed into qt, and I am hoping he makes it through the night. If he does I will wait until he is back to full health and donate him to a friend with a pond in their garage.

Two of the three goldfish started off healthy (one was lethargic shortly after entering the tank) but eventually became lethargic, at which point they started sitting on the bottom and the loaches began to nibble on them.

I have a 90 gallon tank at 70°F, running an airstone and a Tidal 75. The other inhabitants are a dozen white cloud mountain minnows, 3 goldbreast goodeids, and three 5 inch pond loaches. I change 60% of the water once a week, being sure to use prime water conditioner and temp match as best I can.

Up until the fish becomes lethargic, there were no signs of the goldfish being chased or nipped. Once they become lethargic, they no longer have an appetite. The lone survivor is about 3.5 inches, maybe 4, and a red cap oranda. The tank gets fed goldfish mini pellets, soaked spirulina flake by bugbites, blanched peas, and brine shrimp. Once a week fasting as well. Is there anything I am doing wrong? I don't plan on getting any more goldfish, but is there anything I can do to help the remaining fish? They don't seem sick, but better safe than sorry.

Sounds like you're doing things right.

I've never kept orandas; my only foray into the fancies was black moors. They did OK, but I very much prefer comets. I like their long fins; I like that they actually look like fish instead of freaks of nature (though I do really like the look of black moors, for some strange reason). And they are pretty much indestructible once they settle in. Have you considered keeping comets instead? They'll get pretty big for a 90 gallon, but probably OK.

Sounds like you're doing things right.

I've never kept orandas; my only foray into the fancies was black moors. They did OK, but I very much prefer comets. I like their long fins; I like that they actually look like fish instead of freaks of nature (though I do really like the look of black moors, for some strange reason). And they are pretty much indestructible once they settle in. Have you considered keeping comets instead? They'll get pretty big for a 90 gallon, but probably OK.
I thought about it, but might just completely change my stocking for this tank. I find myself feeling like I have bad luck with it.

I think maybe I built up my expectations too much. I had everything planned out, thr fish, the decorations, the plants. I had to compromise on the fish and the plants just didn't really turn out how I wanted. I think I'll move my white clouds and goldbreasts to my hardwater 25 gallon tank(and lower the temp there), and see if I can take the loaches back for partial credit. Maybe do a single large fish or a pair in the 90 gallon.

Warning to all, LiveAquaria.com has FISH LICE! They destroyed my 10 yr old tank and killed all five of my giant goldfish (over 2 lbs) and the babies I bought from LiveAquaria. I had never seen fish lice before in over 20 years of fish keeping and thought the babies were showing ammonia burns despite no heightened ammonia level. I found out after I saw one on my giant goldfish and it MOVED. THEY KILLED MY GOLDFISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY LIED WHEN I TOLD THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY WOULD NOT EVEN HAVE THE COURTESY TO REFUND MY MOST RECENT ORDER LET ALONE RECOGNIZE MY GRIEF AT THE LOSS OF MY BEAUTIFUL FRIENDS. CRUEL, HATEFUL, IRRESPONSIBLE.
I would appreciate it if you didn't post on my old threads, especially spamming them as you are. Like, there is literally a review section of the forum. Use it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back