Giving Away An Established Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

omega59

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hi all its been a very long time. I have a aquarium running for about 3 years or so, my fish recently all died. Not sure the cause. Now I promised someone the tank and was wondering whats the best way to give it to them. Since the filter is established i would like to think they can take it and its automatically cycled up. I also have live plants that are thriving well that they will take. So can I just give the tank as is, or do they need to start over?

okay, do i need to replace the substrate at all?

No I wouldn't, Just don't move the tank with anything in it. So put the substrate into buckets and put it back, when it gets to it's new home

Hi all its been a very long time. I have a aquarium running for about 3 years or so, my fish recently all died. Not sure the cause. Now I promised someone the tank and was wondering whats the best way to give it to them. Since the filter is established i would like to think they can take it and its automatically cycled up. I also have live plants that are thriving well that they will take. So can I just give the tank as is, or do they need to start over?

Actually, I don't recommend you to give your filters, substrate, plants to someone else unless you can guarantee that there is zero parasite in your tank.
If there is parasites in your tank, you will pass them over to the person.

I had seen too many cases of parasites infection that I don't trust anything that has been used by someone especially the filters and substrate.
Even for the tank, I will need to clean it with bleach, rinse it many times and let it dry before I reused it.
The parasites eggs is hard to destroy when they are in your tank. No medications can destroy them except bleach.
But if you use bleach to clean it, do it quickly because the bleach is corrosive and can damage the silicone in the tank. Rinse it a few times and let it dry to ensure all parasites eggs are destroyed.

Actually, I don't recommend you to give your filters, substrate, plants to someone else unless you can guarantee that there is zero parasite in your tank.
If there is parasites in your tank, you will pass them over to the person.

I had seen too many cases of parasites infection that I don't trust anything that has been used by someone especially the filters and substrate.
Even for the tank, I will need to clean it with bleach, rinse it many times and let it dry before I reused it.
The parasites eggs is hard to destroy when they are in your tank. No medications can destroy them except bleach.
But if you use bleach to clean it, do it quickly because the bleach is corrosive and can damage the silicone in the tank. Rinse it a few times and let it dry to ensure all parasites eggs are destroyed.
Is any aquarium parasite free

Why give them one third water?

Is this to try and preserve the bb in substrate, plants, decor and filter?
Yep, I always like to take some of the water with the tank. It helps with re establishment remember those bacteria are happy in that water.

Discus lovers are an exception, I love discus and their owners but what you guys do is not the norm.

I do agree that it may not be easy at the beginning. Actually, my water change is only once a week but with up to 90% water change.
You will have to quarantine your fish right from the beginning. Observe them right from the beginning for any symptoms of parasitic infections and treat them for any worms or parasites infections.
Also, don't put any substrate until you are sure that all the parasites have been killed as the substrate may make it more difficult to kill the parasites.

Avoid live and frozen food and probably even plants.
If you want to have plants, quarantine them up to 4 weeks. And use medication such as Flubendazole to kill all parasites before adding into your main tank.

I do agree that it may not be easy at the beginning. Actually, my water change is only once a week but with up to 90% water change.
You will have to quarantine your fish right from the beginning. Observe them right from the beginning for any symptoms of parasitic infections and treat them for any worms or parasites infections.
Also, don't put any substrate until you are sure that all the parasites have been killed as the substrate may make it more difficult to kill the parasites.

Avoid live and frozen food and probably even plants.
If you want to have plants, quarantine them up to 4 weeks. And use medication such as Flubendazole to kill all parasites before adding into your main tank.
;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back