Ghost shrimp with rust disease?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

DarylB924

Reaction score
Iā€™ve been struggling with water parameters lately. added several plants, flourish root tabs to sand substrate, and dosing Seachem comp/excel/iron and since then my parameters went haywire. Ammonia and nitrite spikes over the last 2 weeks but, not higher than 1 ppm at any given time. Doing frequent water changes and adding stability and prime to compensate. While this was happening I was focusing more on my fish But, this morning I noticed brown spots on my ghost shrimp and one looks like he has ā€œfin rotā€. Posting a picture of the shrimp below. Is this rust disease? And if it is can it affect the fish?

Attachments

• 2D4754AA-50C2-4894-AD1B-97E50AB8C953.jpeg
    2D4754AA-50C2-4894-AD1B-97E50AB8C953.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 82B50CB0-C5EB-44CA-AFC3-A0592335965C.jpeg
    82B50CB0-C5EB-44CA-AFC3-A0592335965C.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 56
It looks like a blood spot. The shrimp might have injured its tail and has the equivalent of a blood blister. Monitor it and post more pictures if it changes. But it should clear up on its own if the water is clean.

It looks like a blood spot. The shrimp might have injured its tail and has the equivalent of a blood blister. Monitor it and post more pictures if it changes. But it should clear up on its own if the water is clean.
Thanks for the reply! Iā€™ve fought for awhile to get parameters back under control.I Checked water after work this evening and ammonia is 0 ppm nitrate <.25 ppm and my plants are eating up the nitrates so Iā€™m back on track to clean water. I will monitor things closely! šŸ¤ž

Most reactions

Back