Ghost shrimp looking strange - opaque and greenish?

trippbudspeak

New Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2020
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
Points
3
Location
Philadelphia
Hello everyone,

Set up a new 18 gallon planted tank about 3 months ago. I let it cycle for a month then stocked it with a few cherry barbs, 1 mystery snail and ~12 ghost shrimp. I never bothered to count them, the owner of the LFS just handed me a bag and said “there’s at least a dozen in there”. When I first got them they were very transparent, however over the last 2-3 weeks (after 1.5 months in the tank) they have grown more and more opaque, with some having an almost green coloration. Their behavior seems unchanged, and I have not had a single death yet. They also seem to be continuing to grow, as a few have gotten massive. I have attached a few pics. I know dwarf shrimp get more colorful in a planted tank with dark substrate, could this be a similar thing?

Tank Specs:
Total Hardness = 250mg/mL
Chlorine = 0mg/mL
Copper = 0mg/mL
Nitrate = 0mg/mL
Nitrite = 0mg/mL
pH = 6.2
 

Attachments

  • 20200224_160701.webp
    20200224_160701.webp
    225.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 20200224_160705.webp
    20200224_160705.webp
    234 KB · Views: 118
  • 20200224_160816.webp
    20200224_160816.webp
    264.6 KB · Views: 131
  • 20200224_160913.webp
    20200224_160913.webp
    172 KB · Views: 123
Hello and welcome to the forum, I have a shrimp tank with ghost shrimp also. Some of it may be that they are molting. They grow out of the outer shell every couple of months.
 
They aren't normal ghost shrimp. They look like juvenile Machrobrachium shrimp but could be anything. I would say they are just colouring up as they mature. Monitor them and if they start dying, then post more pictures.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top