Ghost Shrimp Killing Guppy?

Aaron Muth

Reaction score
I recently bought and small fancy guppy (maybe half and inch long) and a few other guppies to put in my fish tank. This was Friday and they have all been doing well. My tank is 37 gallons, heated, filtered, and has two air stones. It has been set up for almost three months now and I did a water change late last week. The parameters are all 0 ppm, 7.6 ph and 77 degrees. I noticed that the little guppy was eating and swimming around about three to four hours ago and I check on them tonight and noticed he was dead, tail almost totally gone with one of my ghost shrimp eating him. I was confused because he was perfectly fine. Do ghost shrimp kill fish? I’ve read about people having the same issue.

All shrimp are scavengers and will eat dead fish and plants, and they will also hunt for smaller fish to eat. Shrimp also have a high metabolism and should be fed several times each day.

Glass/ ghost shrimp grow to about 1 inch long and might take young guppies but I think an healthy guppy would be able to get away from the shrimp. A sick guppy could be taken and a dead guppy will certainly be picked up and eaten by any shrimp.

It's highly possible the new fish have a disease that killed the guppy. Check your fish for cream, white or grey patches on their body or fins, and make sure their eyes are clear and don't look like they have a cream film over them. Check for small white spots on their bodies and fins.

If any of the fish look weird then post pictures of them asap. Make sure you use the camera flash when taking pictures. Set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting so the images should be small enough to fit on this website.

You can also do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. That will help to dilute any disease organisms in the water and buy some time for you to work out why the fish died.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

All shrimp are scavengers and will eat dead fish and plants, and they will also hunt for smaller fish to eat. Shrimp also have a high metabolism and should be fed several times each day.

Glass/ ghost shrimp grow to about 1 inch long and might take young guppies but I think an healthy guppy would be able to get away from the shrimp. A sick guppy could be taken and a dead guppy will certainly be picked up and eaten by any shrimp.

It's highly possible the new fish have a disease that killed the guppy. Check your fish for cream, white or grey patches on their body or fins, and make sure their eyes are clear and don't look like they have a cream film over them. Check for small white spots on their bodies and fins.

If any of the fish look weird then post pictures of them asap. Make sure you use the camera flash when taking pictures. Set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting so the images should be small enough to fit on this website.

You can also do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. That will help to dilute any disease organisms in the water and buy some time for you to work out why the fish died.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.
The thing is the fish and all of the other fish looked fine. You know, active and showing great ciolkrs. I have read about fish stores selling ghost shrimp look a likes that can be very aggressive takers other fish.

Macrobrachium are a type of shrimp that looks similar to glass/ ghost shrimp when young, but they grow to 6+ inches and will eat anything they can catch. However, they are only available in some countries like Australia, New Guinea and Indonesia where they naturally occur.

Last edited:
Macrobrachium are a type of shrimp that looks similar to glass/ ghost shrimp when you, but they grow to 6+ inches and will eat anything they can catch. However, they are only available in some countries like Australia, New Guinea and Indonesia where they naturally occur.
If this is that type of shrimp, what should I do? Two of them I would say are around two inches.

Macrobrachium usually have a few red and black markings/ lines on their body and really long claws. If you can post a picture of the shrimp we can have a look at it. But if they are 2 inches long (body size) then separate them from the fish :)

Macrobrachium usually have a few red and black markings/ lines on their body and really long claws. If you can post a picture of the shrimp we can have a look at it. But if they are 2 inches long (body size) then separate them from the fish :)

Attachments

• D4CB60CA-6DCA-4260-BA16-7014C45FE3CC.jpeg
    D4CB60CA-6DCA-4260-BA16-7014C45FE3CC.jpeg
    945.7 KB · Views: 437
Those are the two big ones

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    763.8 KB · Views: 178
They have lots of markings and colour and don't look like glass shrimp to me. They could be young macrobrachium but their claws aren't really big enough.

If you have a spare tank then separate them, otherwise feed them 3-4 times a day and hope they leave the guppies alone.

Where did you get them from?

They have lots of markings and colour and don't look like glass shrimp to me. They could be young macrobrachium but their claws aren't really big enough.

If you have a spare tank then separate them, otherwise feed them 3-4 times a day and hope they leave the guppies alone.

Where did you get them from?
PetValu, only place in my area that had “ghost” shrimp.

You said shrimps need to feed each day for this feeding can you use normal fish food

Most reactions

trending

Back