Getting Some Honey Gourami - Advice Appreciated On Tankmates

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Is that photo taken in Maidenhead Aquatics? The honeys look just like the ones I got from there.

If you look carefully at the fish on the right just above the gravel you'll see a hint of a dark line running from its nose towards the tail. That's a female. There's anther one just below the long streak of light on the right with the pale yellow blob just starting to overlap. The ones with the orange tails are more likely to be males. In the tank in my MA, a lot of those had patches of black on their throats, a sure sign of a male. The yellow males don't get quite the amount of black as the wild coloured male in dogsout's photo, but they do get some black in the same area.

So if you want all females, get the ones with the most obvious nose to tail darker stripes and don't get the ones with the orange tails especially if they have bits of black on their throats.

Yes, that was in MA.

There were some that were obviously male, others that were obviously female and others I wasn't so sure about. I'll ask for all females and make sure I have a look at the ones they catch before agreeing to buy.

Wow, those are some beautiful Gouramis they have there. Good luck with them & keep us posted on how they do in your tank. Oh, and pictures of yours are now mandatory..................

They are beautiful, aren't they? I'm always seeing pretty fish around, but when the time comes that I actually have space in my tank for more fish, I can never decide on what to get. I saw these though and knew I had to have them.

A friend tells me she was waiting for MA to ring her about some stock coming in one time and they never did. I'm gonna give them a ring in the morning to see whether they're still in quarantine (no harm in doing so). I'm so eager to get them!

My plan for the moment is to get four females. I'm still undecided on whether or not I'm getting another dwarf (or other) gourami. If not, I'll add a male at a later date.

Got my honeys now, they're absolutely gorgeous.

Rang up this morning and the guy said he was about to ring me. Glad I didn't buy them before; they were cheaper this time around! Got 4 for £10, whereas they were 2 for £8 before.

Gonna leave the lights off for a few hours but will post photos later.

Most reactions

Back