Getting Rocks And Driftwood From The Lake Or Woods

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

halfbloodprincess

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I was wondering if you can find rocks and driftwood ect. for decor in your aquarium at the lake/pond or the woods. Cause my nana has a pond, and she is surrounded by woods. I need decor for my new tank, but I want to save money since I am getting the gift card for petco from my nana on the 27th, and I am getting the tank tomorrow and I would like to set it up first thing and cycle it. So can you?

The problem that you run into is knowing what else besides the rocks or wood you may be putting in your tank. You can introduce parasites and other organisms that you can't see if you don't clean them good. Most people recommend boiling them but it's kind of hard to find a pot large enough to boil a 12 to 24 inch piece of wood in it.

I think the wood you buy in a LFS has generally been sandblasted to clean it. Thats why it is so slick and smooth. Also, I have always heard that you don't want to use any kind of evergreen wood (cedar, pine, etc.) in the tank. Ive never really heard the reason behind that though.

Also, you have to be careful that you don't put some types of rocks in your tank that make your pH go sky high. Do a vinegar test on them. Put a few drops of vinegar on them. If they fizz, they will raise your pH.

Thanks!

Yeah, I have heard of boiling the rocks. I have a dwarf hamster, and they suggest if they are not fileing their nails properly than to put in their cage a rock for them to file them down easier. And I boiled the rock. Thanks for the vinegar tip, that will help lots.

I do have a pretty large pot, and the drift wood wont be that big, so I think the boiling wouldnt be that big of a problem.

What type of wood would work then?

Hardwoods such as oak or hickory should be fine but I'm definitely no expert.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back