Getting Rid Of Fin Rot

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pablothebetta

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My betta's had a black edge to his fins ever since I got him 1-2 months ago. I thought it'd just go with regular w/cs, but nothing seems to have changed. There are pale parts near the edges of some of the fins which I've read can signify new growth, though what with the black edges I'm not sure.

I do 30-40% w/cs weekly, though there is always some kind of significant nitrate reading (10-20ppm) as it's in my tap water.

I can try to get a picture, though he's rarely still when I try to take a photo ;)

I did fine some anti-fungus + fin rot treatment (think it's interpet) laying around the other week which I have dosed twice, though nothing seems to have changed. I called into a store the other day to see what they had, but aside from the medication I've already tried, there was only 'melafix' that I saw, and I've read negative things about using it with bettas so I didn't want to chance it.

Any ideas of getting rid of it?

Have you tried daily WCs of 50% over a week? You probably need to give the fin rot treatment more of a chance.

I'm currently finding that daily WCs and a very low dose of Melafix are working wonders on Sigmund, who was fin-nipped last week.

Thanks for the reply.

The treatment says to dose, leave for a week, then do a w/c. I've done this twice.

I might try your melafix + w/c idea :good:

The black on the edges of your betta's fins are ulcers, use Melafix to cure them ( a great product for bacterial infections like fin rot )
Hope your betta heals!!!!!

Thanks, looks like I might be getting some melafix afterall. I'm sure I've read somewhere about adding salt to help with fin rot, is this true?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back