Getting ready !

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Back in the fold

That One Guy
Reaction score
Getting my ten gallon and two fives ready for new arrivals. My guy is sending me three pairs of Aphyosemion australe Gold next week. Going to go natural in the ten gallon and pick eggs from mops in the two fives. My Java Moss was much bushier than I originally thought. Had enough to divide and put a nice clump in each of the five gallon aquariums. A new species for me and new worlds to conquer. Only one problem. I think I need at least one more ten gallon.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
He's a fellow American Killifish Association member who advertised in the AKA Business Newsletter fish and egg listing. $10 bucks a pair and $20 bucks shipping. I'm cheap and I thought that was OK. I've blown $50 bucks on worse things.
That is a good deal!

Wonder of wonders ! Looking into the ten gallon and one of the fives and I see very small Aplocheilus lineatus Golden Wonder Killifish fry. Probably only a day or two old. There never was a mop in either tank just the plants.

Heads up - lineatus will eat any australe fry or eggs, even if they are fry themselves. Those nice wide mouths they have are very effective...

Heads up - lineatus will eat any australe fry or eggs, even if they are fry themselves. Those nice wide mouths they have are very effective...
I know about that. Learned it the hard way. Had lineatus fry eat other fry at only a week difference. I'm scooping these out.
Very nice, @Back in the fold! Are you planning on getting species in the future?
I'm getting my Orange australe next week. Work on them awhile and think about something else down the road. I'm not much of a multi-tasker. I do one thing and give that all my concentration. Besides , gotta sneak a couple more tanks into the house. An added benefit of Killifish is that it can be done in small tanks. Easier to sneak those in.

Besides , gotta sneak a couple more tanks into the house. An added benefit of Killifish is that it can be done in small tanks. Easier to sneak those in.
Indeed. I currently have eight tanks dedicated to killifish. Planning on adding two more tanks for more species. Planning on getting two pairs of Aphyosemion calliurum "Nigeria" and two pairs of Aphyosemion gabunense GBG 93-30 in the near future.

@Crispii Those are nice looking fish. I really like the calliurum. There aren't any other fish in the freshwater hobby as diverse ,colorful and unique as Killifish. For my next one I'd like to try a Nothobranchius species. I know where I can get rachovii but they're probably above my skill level so it will wind up guentheri.

@Crispii Those are nice looking fish. I really like the calliurum. There aren't any other fish in the freshwater hobby as diverse ,colorful and unique as Killifish. For my next one I'd like to try a Nothobranchius species. I know where I can get rachovii but they're probably above my skill level so it will wind up guentheri.
I know a seller that lives an hour away from me and he has different species of killifish on his site. If you're interested, I can DM you his site.

I got 3 species of Nothobranchius - lucius, ditte and malaissei this month. The malaissei hatched 7 on the first try. The jury's still out on the other 2. I have these ones at breeder or juvenile stage, plus a gabunense, and a cameronense as fry. Eggs from punctatum are in the mail.
Aphyo. Chromaphyosemion bitaeniatum Lagos Rouge
2Aphyo. Chromaphyosemion poliaki Mutengene CI 05
3Aphyo. Chromaphyosemion volcanum Njanje CI 10
4Aphyosemion cameronense Ngong GEAV 14-03
5Aphyosemion citrineipinnis Massika GJS 00-03
6Aphyosemion dargei Ndjoré Mfele JVC 17-20
7Aphyosemion exigoideum BBW 00-03
8Aphyosemion hera ARK 96-01-2
9Aphyosemion ocellatum Sika-Sika GJS 00-05
10Aphyosemion ogoense ogoense Mongouango GHP 80-24
11Aphyosemion ottogartneri Mpassa Lungkalla CI 2015
12Aphyosemion sp. COFE 10-23