Getting platie to breed

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

You can buy prawns that get used for bait or for eating. Buy them frozen and keep them in your freezer. When you want to feed the fish, take 1 prawn out and defrost it. Remove the head, shell and gut (thin black tube in body) and throw these bits away. Use a pr of scissors to cut the remaining prawn tail into small pieces and offer 1 or 2 bits at a time. Let the fish eat as much as they want and then remove uneaten food.

---------------------------
If you have Water Sprite in the tank, the baby fish will be hiding among the leaves and roots and you can use a small plastic container to scoop them up and transfer them to the breeding net.

If you don't have floating plants, the baby fish will be hiding around plants at the bottom and you need to use a fine mesh fish net and carefully catch them and bring them up to the surface. Then use a plastic container to scoop the babies up whilst in the water, and transfer them into the breeding net.

ok thanks so I only have three fake plants at the moment, I will see if I can get floating plants soon.

Last edited:
Hello again I was wondering if some fake floating plants would work as my LFS does not have floating plants, I will try and post some pics of the platy again as I am not sure if it is still pregnant and have not seen any fry

Live plants are preferable but if you can't get any, then artificial, fake, plastic plants will do.

Most reactions

Back