🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Corrina

Reaction score
I'm getting new fish tomorrow and wondered what I should get

See my signature below about the fish I have

my nitrate levels are currently just below 0.1mg/L
my ph levels are currently at 7.4
Temperature currently at 26c

a 60 L tank is roughly 15 gallons. you really don't have room for much more in there, maybe a couple more guppies, or another barb, maybe a platy or molly or two. but since you only have the one cory, and they really should be in groups of at least three to keep them happy, i'd get two or three of those and call it good.

I have a little room for some more, but the thing is, i cant get my blady parents to drive me to the nearest blinking petstore to get some, and i have been asking for a week

O.O

But he has roughly the same size tank as me that means

thanks for replying mam. I will get another 2 corys because they are so cute.

I have a book on tropical fish and it said I could keep up to 22 (2 inch fish) quite comfortably. I wouldn't get 22 fish, (allowing for growth room) Is this wrong ? the bigger of my fish is 2 inch the rest are smaller. I only have 7 fish, and three small snails the size of my little fingernail.

I'm so confused now :blink:

Put simply - yes, your book is wrong. Very wrong. The general rule of thumb, esp. for beginners is 1 inch of fish per gallon, allowing for their full sizes. This gives each fish ample swimming space/territory (for a non-aggressive species - aggressive fish need more room than usual), plenty of oxygen, not too heavy a bioload (not too much fish poop for the amount of good bacteria that will get rid of it), & leaves you with a little room for plants &/or decorations. 22 2 inch fish is 44 inch of fish in a 15 gallon tank, which is very overcrowded, which makes fish a lot more suseptible to stress/bullying & disease.

With very vigilant water changes & maintenance, you can go a little overy this limit, provided that the fish are an approximately even mixture of bottom, middle, & top dwellers, but for a beginner I wouldn't really recommend it (I still stick to it pretty much too with my 15 gal). A couple more cories will be ok, & your current guy'll be happier, but anything more than that I'd say would be pushing it. I don't know where your book got it's info but that part's definitely wrong.

Hope that helped. Michelle.

queengumby said:
Put simply - yes, your book is wrong. Very wrong. The general rule of thumb, esp. for beginners is 1 inch of fish per gallon, allowing for their full sizes. This gives each fish ample swimming space/territory (for a non-aggressive species - aggressive fish need more room than usual), plenty of oxygen, not too heavy a bioload (not too much fish poop for the amount of good bacteria that will get rid of it), & leaves you with a little room for plants &/or decorations. 22 2 inch fish is 44 inch of fish in a 15 gallon tank, which is very overcrowded, which makes fish a lot more suseptible to stress/bullying & disease.

With very vigilant water changes & maintenance, you can go a little overy this limit, provided that the fish are an approximately even mixture of bottom, middle, & top dwellers, but for a beginner I wouldn't really recommend it (I still stick to it pretty much too with my 15 gal). A couple more cories will be ok, & your current guy'll be happier, but anything more than that I'd say would be pushing it. I don't know where your book got it's info but that part's definitely wrong.

Hope that helped. Michelle.
does that mean i have too many in my tank? (see my signature)

Most reactions

Back