Getting dwarf gouramis soon...

houndour

Twiglet and Eeyore
Reaction score
Tank cycled on Tuesday. I've now got 5 corys, 3 botia and 1 guppy. I am getting 2 more guppies and plan to get 2 dwarf gourami and that will be my lot.

I've been to 2 of my fave fish shops and the first did not have male gouramis and the 2nd (I have been to twice) have gouramis that are still acclimatising. So I have not been able to fully stock my tank after the fishless cycle.

I was going to wait a month (so another 3 weeks) before getting the dwarf gourami. Do you think this is wise? Or should I get them as soon as I can? Or wait longer?

My params at the mo:
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 20
pH: my pH fluctuates between 6.4 and 6.7 cos I have CO2. But now that I changed my CO2 this weekend (and its not bubbling as fast), this morning the pH was 7.1.

Sam

It's written on his signature, 22 US gallons :)

Wait a week or two, then get them. Good job that you didn't get their fresh stock :nod:

P.T.

The 3 weeks sounds like a good time to wait for your Ph to stabilize and on top of that, it will give your tank a chance to mature a bit now that live fish are in.

When you buy the dwarf Gourami, are you planning to get 1 Male and 1 Female? This would be the best option since gourami can get quite aggressive in smaller sized tanks which is why lots of plants/wood/other decorations are suggested to break up the tank and provide clear territories which will hopefully prevent some spars between the fish.

Apart from that, it sounds great :thumbs: do you have any pictures of the tank?

When you buy the dwarf Gourami, are you planning to get 1 Male and 1 Female? This would be the best option since gourami can get quite aggressive in smaller sized tanks which is why lots of plants/wood/other decorations are suggested to break up the tank and provide clear territories which will hopefully prevent some spars between the fish.

Yes I wanted to get one male and one female. The only thing that worries me is if they breed? I don't really want baby gouramis, but I should imagine the fish would eat most of the eggs.

Yep my tank is 22 US gallons. Here's a pic
tank_after_12_apr.jpg

I'm going to get some more smaller pieces of bogwood for my botia to hide in, so any ideas of anything else I need, I'd love to hear them.

I'm letting my vallis grow tall so that it provides some shelter.

Sam

Great looking tank!!!! :kewlpics:

Your right, in the slight chance that they do manage to build a bubblenest and breed, your other fish will be sure to eat the eggs as they fall from the nest so i don't think you should worry about being overrun with fry :)

Most reactions

Back