Getting A New Tank

Marco84

New Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2009
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Gloucester
I be getting a new tank on tuesday, 180 litres to replace my 75 litres one as I can not fit all the fish I want in 75 litres :hyper:

My question is do I start a whole new fishless cycle (i've never done it before)
or can I take some water and filter media out from my matured tank, put it in my new tank and put more water in with aquasafe and live start in and let my 7 White Cloud Minnows mature the water fully, before adding my other fish in?

and an other noob question, I will be getting sand instead of gravel, do I clean it in the same way or will the water siphon suck up all the sand? :crazy:
 
Providing you dont start to add new stock immediatley, you can move all the water, fish, plus the filter with all the media directly into the new tank, then top up with fresh water, it will be like doing a large water change for them, then assuming the new tank has a filter with it, run it alongside the mature filter for 4-6 weeks in which time it will contain enough bacteria to cope with your current fish load, then stock slowly as you would normally, alternatively leave both filters running for extra filtration.
 
If you move all the filter media into your new tank and use most of the water, there's no reason why you can't move all the fish too. Are you intending to carry on uding the 75l? If so just move half the media and half the water then top both tanks with fresh conditioned water. Keep an eye on your water stats though.

The gravel in your 75l will hold a fair amount of beneficial bacteria too, it might be worth moving half the fish if changing to sand, check water stats for a few weeks then if all ok move the rest. When vacuuming sand, just hover over the surface, it's slightly different to clean but you'll soon get the hang of it.
 
The filter in my 75L aquaone tank is built into the lid, so I can't move it into my new tank. My new tank will be a Juwel Rio 180. Do I put the filter wool and sponges from the 75L into the water of my new tank?

I wont be keeping the 75L, no room left in my study.

When filling up the new tank with my 10L bucket, should I put like 2L of water from my 75L into the bucket and the other 8L with treated tap water, filling the tank up that way? Then once all the fish are moved over take the rest of the water out and put it into the new tank?


The fish I be moving over are

7x White Cloud Minnow
6x Endlers
6x Lamp eye Killifish
3x Guppies
2x Dwarf Gourami
2x Polkadot Loaches
2x Rainbow Loaches

Any not so hardy to survive the move?
 
Yes put all the filter media into your new filter, you don't have to move the old filter, just the media, sponges and floss.

Siphon off the water from your old tank into a bucket and tip in new tank. You can use as much of the old water as possible as the new tank is double the size. Leave your fishes just enough water to still swim around in and top up new tank with fresh conditioned water. You can use a hose if you put the correct ammount of conditioner in the tank first.

Switch on filter and heater

Reassure fishies that their new home is nearly ready whilst waiting for water to heat up (you can speed this up by turning on the heater whilst filling up if you make sure the heater is under water at all times)

Make a cup of tea or glass of squash.

Watch a bit of tele

Catch fishies and pop into their new home.

Give me your old tank :hyper: No not really, I've got more than enough!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top