German blue rams

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishguy13

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello,
When I get my bigger tank I am hopping to get German blue rams and was wondering what else I could keep with them and minimum tank size.
Thanks Fishguy13

minimum size tank for a pair of blue rams is about 24 inches long but 30 inches long is better. The best way to get a pr is to buy 6-10 fish and let them pr off naturally. Then separate the prs.

Agree. There are some other issues to be aware of too.

First is temperature. This species, Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, including any of the artificial varieties (German Blue, Gold, etc) must have warmth. A temperature of 80F (27 C) is absolute minimum, and they would be better a degree or two above this. So that limits suitable tank mates, as many "tropical" fish cannot manage with such high temperatures on a permanent basis. Some suitable tankmates include cardinal tetra (Paracheirodon axelrodi), the false/green neon tetra [Paracheirodon simulans] but not the common neon tetra; the smaller hatchetfish in the genus Carnegiella, and some others I could think of given time. Cory catfish are out as they need cooler water, even the "warm" species are not advisable here. And cories would eat the eggs/fry at night anyway.

The rams occupy the lower half/third of the aquarium, which is also where the cardinals, etc like to live. The hatchetfish obviously are surface fish. Another possible is a group of one of the dwarf rasboras in the genus Boraras; these would remain in the upper half of the tank.

Colin gave the minimum tank size, and I agree a 30-inch (75 cm) length would be much better.

A pair must select their own mate. Any male/female will not necessarily bond, and that means a dead female before long (usually). If there are a number of rams in the store tank, it is possible to observe likely bonded/bonding pairs. If you buy a group of fish, say 8-10, and let them pair, then you have to do something with the "leftover" fish and that is not easy unless you have several tanks.

Thank you very interesting but I think I will leave them for now until I get more tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Back