German blue rams and corydoras

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bigred81

Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon tank with 6 corydoras in it. I want to add a pair of german blue rams. Will they get along?

I have a 20 gallon tank with 6 corydoras in it. I want to add a pair of german blue rams. Will they get along?
Short answer is yes 100%
Corys are absolutely no threat to the rams dominance it’s the rams themselves that might fight in a 20 gallon unless they pair or you have suited cichlids layout with plenty of territory to separate

Temperature is your problem here. All varieties (which are all selectively bred from the natural species Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) must have warmer water than the majority of "tropical" fish; 82-86F/28-30C is the range for the blue rams.

Unfortunately, there are no species of Corydoras that should be maintained in this high a temperature long-term. Sporadic summer heat waves are usually not problematic, but continual high temperatures (above 80F/27C) are not advisable.

Temperature is crucial to fish because they are ectotherms, and a degree or two can make a big difference. Temperature drives the metabolism, and the higher it is (higher above "normal" for the species) the more energy it takes out of the fish, and they weaken which exposes them to disease and other issues unnecessarily.

Th Bolivian Ram, Mikrogeophagus altispinosus does not share its cousin's need for high temperatures, so it could be worth considering. Not as colourful, perhaps--depending upon how you view "colourful"--but compatible with Corydoras.

As you mention a "pair," something that applies to both species: they must select their mate (a male/female pair) and bond, or dissention will likely result. Two males will fight unless in a very large tank, but even then it can happen. The weaker will not last long. Two females may have better manners, though hard to say. Like all cichlids, males are territorial and will establish their space which can often be the entire tank. My male Bolivian was in a 5-foot tank and he owned the entire space, and every other fish (60 cories, over a hundred characins) knew it.

Last edited:
Agree with temp issue but electric blue rams could be pairs with bronze corys at 79c ? Just a shout

Agree with temp issue but electric blue rams could be pairs with bronze corys at 79c ? Just a shout

Short answer, no. The rams must have the range I gave earlier or they cannot live their normal lifespan (the least reaction) and more usually fall victim to other issues. All (shorter lifespan or other issues) due to the stress and problems associated with lower temperatures. All the man-made colours have the same genetic need related to temperature.

An example from the habitat waters is instructive. At 10 am on a cloudy and relatively "cool" day with an air temperature of 31C, the water was found to be 28.5C and during a normal day it will be much higher than this.

There are no Corydoras species in any habitat of the M. ramirezi, so far as I am aware [I always stand to be corrected].

When I had a Ram it tried to bully the cories, but only when it wanted to keep food for itself, so I just fed them in opposite corners.

After a while, the cories started to ignore all attempts to bully until the Ram politely waited its turn at the food. Cories have no concept of territories, sometimes a fish will accept this, sometimes not. The reason I have a single female apisto is I believe her husband died from a hunger strike related to stress of the cories continually ignoring his demands for personal space while simultaneously deliberatley hanging around with them to feel safe. This was before I got any gouramis, they would have upset him even more. Lesson learned - won't try apisto pair again unless I have a calmer and/or bigger tank for them. His wife seems to own the tank quite confidently, but maybe her female hormones are more tolerant of other fish in her territory.

That said.... you better listen to Byron's advice about temperature, that is likely why my Ram lasted less than a year (my other theory of it's death is that it stuffed it's face with something dead I failed to pick up on), if I tried a Ram at a temperature low enough to keep cories happy - I would maybe consider the Bolivian kind in future. I love cories, don't know why - so not having them would be non-negotionable until I succumb to Multiple Tank Syndrome......

And.... electric blue are just a colour morph of german blue right?

Short answer, no. The rams must have the range I gave earlier or they cannot live their normal lifespan (the least reaction) and more usually fall victim to other issues. All (shorter lifespan or other issues) due to the stress and problems associated with lower temperatures. All the man-made colours have the same genetic need related to temperature.

An example from the habitat waters is instructive. At 10 am on a cloudy and relatively "cool" day with an air temperature of 31C, the water was found to be 28.5C and during a normal day it will be much higher than this.

There are no Corydoras species in any habitat of the M. ramirezi, so far as I am aware [I always stand to be corrected].
No I don’t correct you at all i basically go off what information you can get off google and a temp of 79c seems to fall in both species range , But your correct surviving isn’t living

And.... electric blue are just a colour morph of german blue right?

I have not looked into which came from which, but all the varieties including blue, german blue, gold, electric blue, long-fin, balloon [this really is terrible, doing this to any fish] and any others I cannot think of were bred from the wild M. ramirezi or perhaps one of the varieties, and the DNA is the same with respect to life issues.

And @Guyb93 just to caution you, be careful accepting anything you find by "google" searches. The reliability is comparable to the advice of many (if not most, but not all) fish store staff. Much of the hobby or fish-related data you will find is inaccurate or misleading or downright false. This problem is a bane to our hobby. One has to learn who are the authorities, and then follow their advice, and ignore anyone who disagrees when it comes to fact like this present topic.

Last edited:
I have read that Bolivian Ram, a different but related species and a little larger, is happy at slightly lower temperatures and in general slightly hardier and slightly more gentle to other fish. Maybe that is just wishful thinking?

I have read that Bolivian Ram, a different but related species and a little larger, is happy at slightly lower temperatures and in general slightly hardier and slightly more gentle to other fish. Maybe that is just wishful thinking?
You are correct, I have a single one on my 29G community tank, and he does just fine at 76F

C. delphax occurs alongside Blue Rams. Some other Corydoras experience the same high temperatures at certain times of year (eg the Rio Negro in autumn) but they’re not adapted to year round high temperatures.

I covered the temperature issue in my post #4, but as for hardiness and peacefulness...it does seem to sometimes be hardier, but this may be due to the temperature issue (blue/common rams are often kept too cool and die early for various related issues, hence some think they are not hardy). As for behaviour, I doubt there is much difference. My male Bolivian certainly made it clear to every other fish (cories and characins) in the 5-foot long tank that he owned that tank--and all the fish gave him the respect due! Bolivians have a lifespan of 4-5 years, and mine was in his ninth year when he died.

C. delphax occurs alongside Blue Rams. Some other Corydoras experience the same high temperatures at certain times of year (eg the Rio Negro in autumn) but they’re not adapted to year round high temperatures.

The second part of this is important. Some now use two heaters on timers so they can replicate diurnal changes in temperature (which are minimal but still actual) and annual cycles.

As for the C. delphax, that is interesting. I would assume this only applies to the river/stream populations (central Orinoco in Columbia and Venezuela). And the ram could remain in the shallower and warmer waters along the banks, and the cories would be free to move about so again not in a continual high temperature. The rm species inhabits waters of the savannas. The main distribution area of M. ramirezi lies between the Rio Manacacias and Rio Yacao, where they inhabit oases and small streams.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back