Unexplained Behavior

gwand40 156

Fish Aficionado
Fish of the Month 🌟
2x Tank of the Month!
Supporting Member ⭐
2x Pet of the Month!
Joined
Dec 31, 2022
Messages
3,093
Reaction score
6,170
Points
113
Location
Baltimore, MD
I recently added a pair of M. ramirezi to a tank that already had 10 G. pygmaeus since April. Before the addition of the Rams I would normally see 3-5 pygmaeus out on the substrate. Never more than that. Since adding the Rams, all 10 pygmaeus are out swimming about. They don’t appear to be stressed and they don’t confront the Rams and vice versa.
 
Reverse target fish? If those big (to a pygmaeus) lunkers can swim around uneaten by that gwand creature that keeps appearing, maybe we can too....
 
Reverse target fish? If those big (to a pygmaeus) lunkers can swim around uneaten by that gwand creature that keeps appearing, maybe we can too....
I think you’re right. It’s a wonderful development. A decent size group of pygmies are really fun to watch.
 
Monkey see monkey do.
I saw a lot of this when I had my tanks lined up shotgun.
I would place a privacy strip to cover 1/4 of the side that touch the next tank and let nature and rivalry take over.
Feeding fish in the corners that touch where they would see each other was always interesting to me.
Often if I had a new fish that was hesitant to eat or be happy, I would add other fish that were super comfortable in the environment I created for them and it would often calm the new fish IME.
 
Right now, I have a pair of Nanochromis teugelsi in a tank beside an immature pair of Pelvicachromis taeniatus Iguedi River. The taenies are happy go lucky, nothing to worry about (yet) kids. They're all over the tank. The teugelsi are wild caught and wary. I just moved their tank last week, and once they'd spotted the taenies through two panes of slightly algaed glass, they got really mad and started angrily strutting. The taenies just kept humming k-pop and being young, and the teugelsi decided they were harmless but annoying enough to be a threat. That's when I saw some early Nanochromis courting moves, and some early nest building. The calm of the juvie F-1 taenies, got them at ease ("if those stupid a%$^$# can stay alive in this place, so can we"?). They didn't even have to be in the same tank.

I find corys, for their reputation as dumb, aren't at all. They are very aware of their surroundings, and will react strongly to the tanks next door or to new fish. I was given a breeder's mistake, some very pretty hybrid killies I won't breed, but will keep for their lifespans, and added them to my panda tank. They worked exactly as dithers would in a Cichlid tank. The Hoplisoma panda are really out and around in numbers. But the no name killies are also far less timid. One looks up, one looks down, and neither sees anyone getting eaten.
 
The male M. ramirezi was being aggressive with the female. So I placed the pair in a larger tank to give the female more hiding opportunities.
IMG_4032.webp

IMG_4034.webp
 

Most reactions

Back
Top