George's Journal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Here's the latest. I think I may remove the pennywort and fill all the empty gravel space with hairgrass so the composition runs a diagonal sloping down from right to left.

I've got some more (smaller) Java fern that I might attach to the right edge of the bogwood too.

Attachments

• 2april.JPG
    2april.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 122
how do u get ur tank to look so clean and clear it always looks perfect even with the recent changes to the aquascape? what filter do u use? my filter is a internal canister filter if i got a bigger external filter would it make a noticable diffrence to the clearness of the water

mike5531 said:
how do u get ur tank to look so clean and clear it always looks perfect even with the recent changes to the aquascape? what filter do u use? my filter is a internal canister filter if i got a bigger external filter would it make a noticable diffrence to the clearness of the water
I have the internal Juwel Compact H (supplied with the tank - Juwel Rio 125) and a Fluval 204 external. Massively overfiltered (about 8 litres of biological media) for my size tank and fish stocking but I like the backup and as you have observed - the water is always crystal.

edit - I would consider supplementing your internal with an external - it will help with clarity but more importantly maintain water quality. Something which you will need with all those fish!

BigC said:
gf225 have you tried the Tropica brand of plants from www.birstall.co.uk, yes, I know they're a bit expensive, but in my experience they are far superior potted plants. I ordered over 100 quids worth when I started my set up and was well pleased with them, delivery and packaging were A1. (just a thought if you are still intending on going with the Hairgrass).
http://www.birstall.co.uk/cgi-bin/Shop.cgi...quaticsnew1.gif
I've just ordered 4 pots of Eleocharis acicularis on your recommendation. Let's hope there as good as the price!

I have actually seen that but thanks anyway. I'm more a fan of wood and ferns myself. The lesson on layout is relevant though. Thanks again for your trouble.

edit - sorry to hear about your high temp difficulties. Do you have air-con?

I've got my hairgrass. I'm keeping in it's pots so it becomes more established (and I don't have the time to faff with a small baby at the moment).

Attachments

• 5apr02.JPG
    5apr02.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 140
Looking good, i might fire up my old external filter after what you said. It used to always slowly get blocked but with the other filter running that might be prevented B)
Good luck with it :thumbs:

gf225:

What have you done with all the beautiful plants that can be seen in your signature?

<fx>Chuckles as he has a mental image of Dubby slapping his forehead!</fx>

lol :D quality plants always come in nice looking pots?, all the plants i get here comes in those cotton ball type thingies :D

regarding the temp problem its getting a bit better, the ice bottles seem to be working and im managing a constant 29 deg celcius, which spikes a little but not much.... sacrificed light time to around 6 hours only :( we have ac here but not downstairs where the aquarium is :)

anyways im looking forward to see the end result of your nature look adventure :D hehe

I forgot to mention. When my hairgrass arrived - next day delivery, good condition, very impressed, I was a little surprised to find a dead juvenile Angelfish in one of the pots. I washed the plants thoroughly and planted anyway. After some thought I wasn't too happy with this so I complained - a rare event for me (typical Englishman). I received a phone call from the manager who couldn't have been more apologetic. He offered me a full refund or 5 new pots (I only ordered 4). Needless to say I'm getting 5 new pots. Happy with that! The grass will be filled in no time.

Is the hair grass in the pots the same as the shorter grass that's already in your tank?

Your tank is coming along well. I'm not sure I would have had the heart to start over when you had such a beautiful setup.

I know you can't really tell from a pic, but it doesn't look like there's many fish in there. How many do you have?

I had a play with my plants last night...it's looking a bit more presentable now I think. And I pruned the lily :( That was tough to do

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back