George's Journal

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
BigC said:
Congratulations!!!! on your new arrival, you must be very proud, don't expect to see you around all the time gf225, but hope you'll drop in when you get a spare moment, to share more of your experiences, thanks for the advice to date though.

BigC...
Thanks. I'll try to keep my eye in!

Congrats from me too. :)

I wish you luck with your style-switch george. A great artist isn't afraid of risk even when he has created something fine already. I admire your courage here.

When you say natural, do you mean the amano-natural style? Such a style does not arise from what plants are chosen, but rather from how they are utilized (ie you don't have a natural style tank just because it includes riccia). I don't see that happening with perfectly balanced vals. For the most part, filling the entire back wall with plants can be a risky strategy. Valls are especially risky in my book because you cannot easily trim them to a desired height. Use of negative space is key in the more japanese-nature style. I know you know that, just a little reminder. A shorter sag on one side and valls on the other might work better if you don't want more stem plants.

If I were you I'd try to put some hard thought into mid ground set up: Hard Scape + midground plants. The log right in the middle might not be the best for an all out Amano-nature style. In my book, strong mid-ground element dictates the structure and feel of the tank and is the most crucial-- especially as empty foreground tanks become a more prominant style. In any case, there isn't much artistic effort in choosing foreground, the challenge is more in the keeping it alive. As for the background, its role is to support the mid-ground, it is a mere extension of the mid-ground. Though background is also very necessary.

Thanks everyone.

Tear-scar - Thanks for the comments. The vallis will not fill the entire background and will not be perfectly mirrored. I understand your points but I'm sticking with the plan so far, after all I've got the plants on order. A quick trim once a week should see it looking well kept enough. Let's face it, I'm not going have much time for admiring or maintaining it anymore - that's the primary reason I've switched to a Amano inspired nature style layout - less maintenance. I appreciate the feedback though - it's great to hear opinions from someone who is obviously more artistic than myself (science is my strongpoint, I have to "learn art", it doesn't come naturally).

gf225:

Its looking great!!!!!!!!!

IMO, If you want to complete the Amano look you'll need an odd number of rocks in there :) That will hide the base of the background plants as well as cover some of the open ground.

And happy parenting :)

Dubby said:
gf225:

Its looking great!!!!!!!!!

IMO, If you want to complete the Amano look you'll need an odd number of rocks in there :) That will hide the base of the background plants as well as cover some of the open ground.

And happy parenting :)
Thanks. I'm going to keep with the original plan at the moment. See how it looks with just the Vallis and Hairgrass. I will more than likely amend the layout later - if (IF I have time!)

I've received the Vallis and hairgrass from Greenline. The vallis is fine but all the hairgrass is brown and dead - not happy. I'll be complaining to Andy Green and getting a refund.

Here's a pic. I'm not happy by a long way. I don't like the symmetry of the Vallis (I can hear a few "told you so's"!!) I think I'll change the right side for another bushy plan. Not sure yet. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• shot2.JPG
    shot2.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 120
gf how about rocks in the center ? you know the big ones that break the view and turn into a focal point for the tank, three rocks, amano style placement of the rocks with moss something like that

You say "bushy" as in fine leaved ie: Ambulia. (Not suggesting, just want to know if it's fine leaf or broad leaf your intending to plant). I can see your point about the Vallis. gf225 have you tried the Tropica brand of plants from www.birstall.co.uk, yes, I know they're a bit expensive, but in my experience they are far superior potted plants. I ordered over 100 quids worth when I started my set up and was well pleased with them, delivery and packaging were A1. (just a thought if you are still intending on going with the Hairgrass).
http://www.birstall.co.uk/cgi-bin/Shop.cgi...quaticsnew1.gif

Thanks BigC for the link. I've uprooted everything again - unfortunately Florence has kept me too busy to put everything back so there's just loads of floating plants at the moment!

gf225 said:
I'm warming to the rocks idea. Good thinking.
Glad to see you are coming back to the Amano way of doing things :)

I would suggest a dedicate a full corner to Vallis. i.e starting almost at front left of tank to back left and onto middle back of tank.

Leave the right front corner open and plant them with hair grass and rocks thus having a tapering down from left to right front corner.

Something like this Aquascape or This one but using Vallis.

The images are shown below for convenience:
604.jpg

371.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back