Geophagus I.d

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

balajake

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi, i bought 4 of these yesterday, sadly one died earlier this evening so i'll have to try and speak to the lfs about an exchange. they were sold as Geophagus Surinamensis but obviously they seem impossible to get hold of and nearly always another species wrongly labled. so this is for the geo experts. they are roughly 12cm to 15cm and currently lacking any really colouring on their dorsal and anal fins. no yellow speckles on the bodly just electric blue dots and they have electric blue facial markings. the tail seems to be spotty and not stripey.

i have photos but they arent the best,

geo3.png

geo2.png

geo1.png

if anyone can help i'd be greatful

They look small for 12-15 cm? Get some weight on them and an ID will be easier. But they look like Altifrons to me. Though tail markings are not too prominent yet.

As you said they wont be true Surinimensis, most are Altifrons or Dizcroseter (Spelling on the latter) with a few being Abalios but I think Altifrons for these.

Where did you get them from?

Wills

They look small for 12-15 cm? Get some weight on them and an ID will be easier. But they look like Altifrons to me. Though tail markings are not too prominent yet.

As you said they wont be true Surinimensis, most are Altifrons or Dizcroseter (Spelling on the latter) with a few being Abalios but I think Altifrons for these.

Where did you get them from?

Wills

it was a shop called gay lyfe (manchester) they were 2 for £9 and a real bargain. sorry i put the wrong size, they are 8cm ish lol

Ah right yeah thats about right, Geos fill out as they grow and at that kind of stature is normal but getting towards 12cm would be a little worrying...

Interesting name for a fish shop..... Being in Manchester though you have 3 great shops at least on your doorstep - Pier, Abyss and a little further Rare Aquatics. All worth a visit given your tastes in fish.

Wills

Ah right yeah thats about right, Geos fill out as they grow and at that kind of stature is normal but getting towards 12cm would be a little worrying...

Interesting name for a fish shop..... Being in Manchester though you have 3 great shops at least on your doorstep - Pier, Abyss and a little further Rare Aquatics. All worth a visit given your tastes in fish.

Wills

I went in pier yesterday and they had nothing i liked. abyss was great but they had sold the EBJD i had my heart set on :sad: . gay lyfe is on stockport road and so is manchester pets and aquatics where i bought my L200 yesterday, very good prices and a decent range of fish in. 2 for £9 was a steal.

any chance they might be geophagus altifrons areoes ?

Wills

I went in pier yesterday and they had nothing i liked. abyss was great but they had sold the EBJD i had my heart set on :sad: . gay lyfe is on stockport road and so is manchester pets and aquatics where i bought my L200 yesterday, very good prices and a decent range of fish in. 2 for £9 was a steal.

any chance they might be geophagus altifrons areoes ?

You must be incredibly fussy if Pier had nothing you liked !!! lol I have never been to a fish shop like it and Ive been in many

I got my Belems from peir and they are wonderful. yesterday i couldnt see a thing i wanted, the geos were too big for me as i like to raise my fish from juvies.

I found Oasis, in Salford to be a very good shop too. I don't know if Wills missed it out of his recommendations or he shares different views on that place :)

Also, I can't tell from the pics but make sure your gravel isn't doing any damage to their gills. It looks quite large but I can't tell, I prefer to use sand with my geos. just a word of warning incase you don't already know...

Also, I can't tell from the pics but make sure your gravel isn't doing any damage to their gills. It looks quite large but I can't tell, I prefer to use sand with my geos. just a word of warning incase you don't already know...
I'm changing the substrate to sand this weekend. I read today gravel isn't too great for them. As for oasis, I actually don't like the place. Great for dry goods but they seem to be more marine than tropical. And they don't cater for my cichlid needs lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back