Gentle giant- Oscar

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Captain holt

Reaction score
Anyone elseā€™s Oscar been a gentle giant?
Iā€™ve had my fair share of psychotic oscars lol but since buying Rudy around a year ago Iā€™ve noticed that sheā€™s been the most placid and gentle Oscar Iā€™ve ever had.
Sheā€™s been raised up around some very small fish and whilst intrigued by them, hasnā€™t ever had a go at them (at least not that Iā€™ve seen)
I daringly added a juvenile EBA about two weeks ago and Rudy couldnā€™t care less šŸ˜‚

Attachments

• 16D6C5FE-474F-4909-BD77-BC6486E02C1C.jpeg
    16D6C5FE-474F-4909-BD77-BC6486E02C1C.jpeg
    335.9 KB · Views: 74
  • F82B838F-107F-4857-B1BF-A2FEF8145B4B.jpeg
    F82B838F-107F-4857-B1BF-A2FEF8145B4B.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 68
I can just see Rudy looking at the EBA and thinking. " Good my owner has stocked the pantry again, I'll keep that for a special occasion"šŸ˜‚
Hahaha Iā€™m hoping she remains peaceful šŸ˜‚ she is definitely a spoilt fish tho! Gets fed a cube of brine shrimp and a couple prawns every few days plus hikari gold that she munches on very loudly šŸ˜‚ if she does start to show signs of aggression I have a couple tanks that my eba can go to!

not such a good idea
the fish is either going to be stressed with no physical aggression or you're going to find them cut in half some day
even if the oscar doesn't care about the EBA yet it doesn't mean that the EBA isn't intimidated by the oscar

Do you every feed her ox heart. I would freeze ox heart and then just grate a bit off with a cheese grater, it is then fine enough that she will take it. If you have seen my photo of Charlie jumping out of the tank if you look at my fingers you can see the ox heart on my fingers. It is a great food for all Cichlids.

not such a good idea
the fish is either going to be stressed with no physical aggression or you're going to find them cut in half some day
even if the oscar doesn't care about the EBA yet it doesn't mean that the EBA isn't intimidated by the oscar
Thatā€™s fair, however at the moment the eba isnt showing signs of stress. Heā€™s coloured up very well since I bought Iā€™m two weeks ago, heā€™s eating like a champ and he swims up to the glass when Iā€™m near the tank. However, it is a very fair pint that youā€™ve made. If things look like theyā€™re going south I.e. he stops eating or refuses to come out of hiding, I wonā€™t hesitate to remove him from the tank :)

Do you every feed her ox heart. I would freeze ox heart and then just grate a bit off with a cheese grater, it is then fine enough that she will take it. If you have seen my photo of Charlie jumping out of the tank if you look at my fingers you can see the ox heart on my fingers. It is a great food for all Cichlids.
I have heard about the benefits of ox heart especially for discus but I havenā€™t ever fed Rudy ox heart. Itā€™s definitely on the list to try out, thank you! Iā€™ll check out the video of Charlie now :)

Good to know about the. gentle Giant, but I own Oscar because I want them to just be natural (aggressions and what not).
And I do feed em with live feeds so the Oscar tank community is only for big aggressive fish. At least 10 inch and above.

Good to know about the. gentle Giant, but I own Oscar because I want them to just be natural (aggressions and what not).
And I do feed em with live feeds so the Oscar tank community is only for big aggressive fish. At least 10 inch and above.
Thatā€™s understandable, live feeding would definitely increase aggression towards smaller fish that resemble feeder fish. As well as trying to minimise any aggression within my tanks I also donā€™t feed feeder fish due to any health issues or parasites these fish may come with (unless of course youā€™re raising your own feeder fish). But thatā€™s my own personal opinion and I respect yours :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back