Genetic Ripped Fins

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AstonN24vantage

Fish Herder
Reaction score
hi all. i have been seeing a lot of angels recently that don't have straight, square fins and instead have ripped ones. i decided i liked this so i bought one today, but i want to know a few things: (the only other fish in the tank at the LFS was an angel)
1: does this make a fish weaker?
2: does this make the fishes value go up or down or stagnant?
3: will this ever heal up?
4: do you guys like it?

thanks

Can you give me a picture? The only times I have ever seen an angel with ripped fins was because of bullying.

It would be interesting to see if other lfs that get their angels from the same source have fish with the same trait. Then it would be either a new viral/bacterial/fungal problem, or a genetic change (although it is hard to say when only a couple of fish have the same trait)

sounds more likely that the fins have been damaged. I purchased an angel with a dorsel fin split right down the middle, effectively giving it two, but it completely healed within 2 days.

see what happens to yours over the next week and then you'll have a better idea of why the fins are like that.

regular big water changes tend to help heal fins quicker, I'm guessing because of the cleanliness and possibly the mineral content in fresh water

But I'm pretty sure it's genetic. I think it's interesting, and the angel is a very strong angel. I'll include some pics later today. I've seen a lot of angels like this recently.

Sounds like a veiltail angel to me, they can have long ripped looking fins.

Sounds like a veiltail angel to me, they can have long ripped looking fins.
thats what i thought, something along those lines. i have a pic but i dont know how to upload it from imageshack to here. what do i use to insert it? i usually upload it straight from the computer but its not showing up and my computers at apple so it may be because its an old computer?

ok. i will asap. sorry i havent responded for a while- needed to take my computer to apple.

wow i should have thought of that!

well, here it is: http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/4113/photofm.jpg

looks similar to a lot of 'veil tails' you can see on google.

here's one....

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAO73-ocrbKUdUMuPc1gvo0-PXNFzpxKSYxtqFBf2sA7nit1hFnA

Ooooh that is a very nice angel, I would say that is a veil tail too. :good:

Ooooh that is a very nice angel, I would say that is a veil tail too. :good:
thanks.i picked out superveloce very carefully. she looks fine. a bit aggressive, but otherwise she is great. gets along great with my other angels and is VERY strong.

Most reactions

trending

Back