Generators

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Thanks guys, that is really helpful - now know what I am looking for :good: cheers

Will go take a look on fleabay and also good old Macro

I will buy a petrol 2.0 kv or above and buy some spare spark plugs - do they start with a button or a pull cord like our petrol lawn mower? I think that is what ben was talking about, how they start up :blush:

Seffie x

:fish:

You can get both but the pull cord tend to be cheaper plus if electric starer battery goes flat not sure how/if you can start them with a pull cord or a set of jumper leads off a car battery.

Seffie,
try to get one with leccy start, stock up on spark plus, always have fresh petrol. You can get a liquid that will prlong the life of unleaded

You can get both but the pull cord tend to be cheaper plus if electric starer battery goes flat not sure how/if you can start them with a pull cord or a set of jumper leads off a car battery.

Ah ha........... I see :good:

Seffie x

ps what plan have you all got in case of a long power cut?

Long power cut = lots of petrol mine burns roughly 1 litre an hour 25 litre jerry can = 1 day but I only have 2 litres in the garage enough time to get to a garage with power to fill up.

Rember petrol does nt last that long when stored 3 months is the max I would keep (tip in car when this old ;) ) never seen the additive to keep petrol longer well worth looking into.

Seffie,
try to get one with leccy start, stock up on spark plus, always have fresh petrol. You can get a liquid that will prlong the life of unleaded

Ah ha.....here you are :good: thought you said something about an electric start, thanks for clarifying for me,

seffie x

1500kva will be plenty then... probably worth going to 2500kva coz you can also boil a kettle of it.... :hyper:

Electric start on one this size will nearly triple the cost, pull start is fine & no big deal.

get one with a long run tank ( usually goes right across the top rather than a little one on top of the engine.) should do 8-12h on one fill then.

As for fuel... dont keep it filled, it is a waste of time as are the additives, better just keeping a can and getting fresh as you need to ( with 24h petrol stations it is no longer an issue getting fuel...even at 2 am) or just keep a gallon to get you going.

For a backup genny I would not bother with the "big names" they just cost too much, have a look on ebay :good:

Just as a warning a couple of my friends got the cheapest ones for laptops when camping with a charity. They died the death within three uses by losing all compression - the supplier didnt ask any questions when they returned them. :rolleyes:

As a different thought a UPS for a server will cost around £120 and ours at work runs our entire telephone system (500W or so - heater+filter) for 5hrs+ when the power goes out. It also fits between the socket and the appliance so will kick in automatically if the power goes out and smooths if it spikes.

Do take a little care when choosing the model of generator Seffie. ~2.0kva will run your tank and maybe a fridge but when you deal with lower-rated generators like this you often get what you pay for... Most "affordable" models in this range have poor electrical characteristics. Decent motors, but poor generators themselves. As such you can get really dirty power off them. So when purchasing, don't buy the cheapest 2.0kva generator you can find, pay a little extra for a model or two higher

Thanks guys

so, I need to get a generator of 2.5 kva or above
pull start
don't buy the cheapest
unleaded petrol
gerry can
spark plugs

or

A UPS - whatever the heck they are? ahhhhh, hang on, does it mean Uninterrupted Power Source? They sound good though if they just kick in when you lose power

but assume the generator would work for longer period of time than a UPS?

What does everyone else do? Tina certainly relies on her beast of a gennie, but what about everyone else?

Seffie x

Yes Seffie, a generator can be topped up with petrol. Once the charge has gone in a UPS, it will need electricity to recharge it.

It would be quite expensive to buy a UPS that would power your tank and fridge for many hrs.

All look good some have the round connectors on you will need to get a convertor to a standard 3 pin this one is very similar to mine with a standard 3 pin connector on

Ebay item number 290333156337

All look good some have the round connectors on you will need to get a convertor to a standard 3 pin this one is very similar to mine with a standard 3 pin connector on

Ebay item number 290333156337

thanks Morri, that one looks good :)lol: what do I know) - but it is in York, which is miles away from me.

So, which one out of the above should I go for do you think?

Seffie x

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back