Gendering blue gourami?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Alright. Iā€™m gonna take the blue one back. I donā€™t wanna risk all my other fish, but *dang* thatā€™s gonna hurt emotionally. Iā€™ll probably get a couple more female pearl gourami.

Going off the anal (bottom) fin, it looks like a young male. The dorsal (top) fin would suggest this too considering the length of it now.

āœØāœØ Nothing like starting to cry in a crowded fish store while taking back the blue gourami āœØāœØ

But the bandage has been ripped. And itā€™s done. Now Iā€™m gonna go eat a tube of ice cream if anyone needs me

āœØāœØ Nothing like starting to cry in a crowded fish store while taking back the blue gourami āœØāœØ

But the bandage has been ripped. And itā€™s done. Now Iā€™m gonna go eat a tube of ice cream if anyone needs me
You did the right thing, good job.

A few years ago we had a member who had to keep her female three spot gourami alone because the gourami killed every other fish in the same tank.

Maybe 3 months later(?), they were both gone...found remnants of both...they were perfectly healthy, like the rest of the fish in the tank...didn't see it happen, but I know the 3 spot gourami was responsible...lost some corys during that time, too, that were perfectly healthy, found bits of them, as well...there's snails and shrimp in the tank, too, so the remnants were scavenged

It didn't even live long in the tank, either, maybe 6 months...then, just wasted away, and died...I shed no tears

Hopefully, you'll have better luck than me, but do keep a close eye on things...bully fish like to harass after lights out, so you may see no aggressive behavior...so look for other signs...fish suddenly shy or hiding...the pearls acting skittish...stuff like that

Back to the gourami...the fish in T. trichopterus are generally quite aggressive, females and males, much moreso than most other species of small and medium gourami. Only one species of gourami should bee kept in an aquarium, with very few exceptions (there are a few small-sized species that manage in large tanks). It is not a good idea to leave the female/male T. trichopterus in the tank considering the other fish. It may have the appearance of all being well, but there are far too many cases where things changed literally overnight. And even if no sign of trouble is apparent, the fish are still communicating chemically with allomones and this is just as stressful--and stress means sick fish.

:eek: I just adopted this tank of fish, and I was fretting over what to do with the rainbow shark, now I really should be worrying about the blue gourami that came with them! :eek::oops: I knew they could be aggressive/territorial, but the only gourami I've had any experience with was peaceful and kept to himself at the top of the tank, and since my tank is nearly all bottom dwellers and no other labyrinth fish, I didn't think the blue would be a concern... now I'm concerned!
This has also reminded me that I first bought a tank because dad had bought a pair of gold gourami, and the female was beating up the male badly, so I rushed to buy a hospital tank to try to save him, didn't work. He died, the female kept terrorising other fish, so she went back to the store. After that he stuck to honey gourami which weren't a problem.
Urgh. I wanted to save the cories and otos, but have taken on a bit of a headache with the shark and now the gourami too!

:eek: I just adopted this tank of fish, and I was fretting over what to do with the rainbow shark, now I really should be worrying about the blue gourami that came with them! :eek::oops: I knew they could be aggressive/territorial, but the only gourami I've had any experience with was peaceful and kept to himself at the top of the tank, and since my tank is nearly all bottom dwellers and no other labyrinth fish, I didn't think the blue would be a concern... now I'm concerned!
This has also reminded me that I first bought a tank because dad had bought a pair of gold gourami, and the female was beating up the male badly, so I rushed to buy a hospital tank to try to save him, didn't work. He died, the female kept terrorising other fish, so she went back to the store. After that he stuck to honey gourami which weren't a problem.
Urgh. I wanted to save the cories and otos, but have taken on a bit of a headache with the shark and now the gourami too!
Gold gourami are just a color morph of the 3 spot (opaline) gourami

Yep, keep a close eye on that gourami

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back