Gender Swapping

Donna Winchester

Reaction score
Hi there, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if livebearers, specifically fantail guppies and platties can change their gender, also, is it possible that these two breeds have cross bred?

they can't change sex but will appear female until the gonodium developes. guppies and platies cannot cross breed with each other. guppies can with mollies which is rare and platies can with swordies

Guppies might not be able to, but female mollies and swordtails can. but its usually just a one way process.

No they cant change sex, how ever you get late developers and molly and swordtails this happens quite often.

Some male are suppressed by larger more dominate males and as life it not easy they take the rought of not devloping early so to try to breed they take the longer route of growing as large as possible and then becoming alpha male via size.

I've seen swords take as long as 12 months to and molly simular time but usually around 10 months.

Most live bearer females are able to store sperm that will result in what is perhaps scene to be an immaculate conception! I have never read or heard of live bearers being able to "change" sex. The late bloomer explanation would likely account for this myth.
Vic

I have a large female sword who is pregnant. And now i am noticing a protrusion out of the end of her tail like i see in maturing males. Last time this happend the female wasnt viable and didnt get pregnant again even with a male in there.

Thanks for your help everyone I appreciate it very much.

A lot of the information you have given me I already knew, I was just unaware if they had the ability to transgender.

Most reactions

Back