Gender Of My Dwarf Puffer

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

hush1982

Reaction score
Hi All,

Newbie here, i've got myself two dwarf puffer. 

However, 
sad2.gif
  I'm unsure whether they are male or female.

One of them (PufferA) seems to have rounder belly but PufferB doesn't seems to have stripe under the belly.

And.. they seems like chasing each other around the tank although I've planted quite a number of plants and tend to divide their territory.

Can anyone give some opinion?

Hush

Attachments

• PufferA.JPG
    PufferA.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 585
  • PufferB.JPG
    PufferB.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 855
If the puffers are juveniles you won't be able to sex them just yet. The dimorphism doesn't show up until adulthood. once they are adults it's quite easy,

Males
  • dark line down their belly
  • more flat body
  • lines behind eyes
  • belly is a bit brighter (gold to yellow)
Females
  • None of the above
  • Round body.
I can't say 100% because I don't know their age, or if they have just eaten but it looks like A is a female and B a male just based on body shape. You will be better able to tell though since you can get a really good look at them and I can't.

Hi Chad,

Hey thanks for the information. I'll take note and see how it goes as they grows 
thanks.gif

And.. mmm.. they seems like chasing each other around the tank although I've planted quite a number of plants and tend to divide their territory, any idea why?

Hush

Well...if one is a male...and the other is a female...wink wink nod non nudge nudge  you know what I mean you know what I mean... ;)

Just joking...

Even male and female dwarfs will be territorial. I would have to see the plant layout to comment on that but they could be exhibiting mating behaviors.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back