• male

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • female

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Valkyrie_Lips

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I recently bought a koi betta that was labeled a female, but the more I look at him the more I'm starting to think he's a dude. He's still young, but the anal and ventral fins are longer than I would expect a female's to be and his body shape is looking more 'torpedo' like. Even after a big meal his stomach isn't as round as a female's and he doesn't have that stout body shape either. He also built a bubble nest under an almond leaf (although females sometimes blow bubble nests coupled with his other physical attributes imo it's providing more evidence that he is probably a male). I apologize in advance for the blurry photos, he's still glass surfing and getting used to his new home.

I'm 90% sure it's a male, but what do you guys think? I've already renamed him Kratos lol.

Image3.jpeg

Image7.jpeg

Image6.jpeg

Thank you! I'm pretty sure it's a young male and if so I got him for a steal of a price since they price koi females at half of the price of males where I'm from. :p

Have you seen the fish flaring? With females the gills usually stick out at the sides only while with males they usually stick out under the head as well making it look like a beard.

No I haven't seen the fish flaring, and I can't see much of a beard underneath the gills either.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back