Gardneri Killifish.

Squid

grumpy old man!
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have just seen some Garnderi killifish at the LFS and would really like them in the tank, but thought I would confirm the LFS view that they would be ok in my tank. They are a lovely yellow and red! They had 2 males and 2-3 females, and the LFS said that they are happy in pairs. Is this true? if there are 2 males and 2 females, would they be ok.?

So, would they be happy in my tank?

180 litre
Black substrate (i believe this is recommended to be dark)
1.3 WPG, so not shocking lighting for them
PH of about 7.2

Tankmates would be a BN Plec, Pentazona Barbs (not aggressive like other barbs), black phantom tetras and bosemani rainbowfish.

So.. would they be happy there?

Squid

Allthough I do not keep mine with other fish, I believe they would be fine in there... However.... get the male and 2 or 3 females... do not put 2 males in there. Also ensure you have a tight fitting canopy, cause these fish are champion jumpers.... They however prefer the lower temperature range and should be maintained below 26 degrees C.

Thanks Lidwig.

One thing though, doing a little research I am questioning whether they are garneri. On this link HERE they look more like the top left and top right. i.e. predominately yellow and red.

Cheers,
Squid

Thanks Lidwig.

One thing though, doing a little research I am questioning whether they are garneri. On this link HERE they look more like the top left and top right. i.e. predominately yellow and red.

Cheers,
Squid
Ouch... I've had some weird spellings of my name, but no problem.... If I look at the top two in your link, I'm thinking that they are more likely somewhere in the Guentheri group... But before I commit myself, the expert will be along soon... Big_C... how do you read it??....

Edit:

Nope... I've had a second look at the pics, and deffo not Guentheris.... and also not sure they are Gardneris... mine has a blue tipped fin in the males... so rather let's wait for Colin!

Ouch... I've had some weird spellings of my name, but no problem....

Ouch indeed. You know I even went back and quickly swapped a V for a W to make sure I had it right, and completely missed the I.. sorry! :blush: But.. at least you didn't end up Lidvig.! Can i use the excuse that I forgot to take my mittens off after coming in from the snow? Not that I have had mittens for 30 years ;-)

Thanks for the help! Great little fish whichever they are. Love the colours and little expressions on their faces.

Squid

Agreed. I guess I am just checking that if the fish have been miss-identified, is there a chance that they will not be suitable for the tank. In other words, are there any killifish to avoid when considering my tank descried above.

Cheers,
Squid

If they were Fp gardneri then not a problem.
Others may not be suitable for various reasons and not all being aggression.
You chose a pic from another site Fp. amieti (gets quite large) and one that looks similar in colouration Fp. avichang.
So for true identification purposes submitting pic is sometimes the best option.
ATB
C

Thanks. That answers my question for now i think, as I now know that I cannot buy them until I can confirm which ones they are. Glad I didn't impulse buy ;)

Cheers,
Squid

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back