Garden Rocks And Such

kevinthecow

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 10, 2008
Messages
657
Reaction score
1
Points
0
So, I go around my garden looking for some nice rocks. I found around six nice ones, four small ones and two medium sized ones :)
I let it chill in hot water, right? How long?
(I also scrub the dirt, well at least two minute hard scrubbing per. rock. :))

Is there any other step's i'm missing?

What're the Con's?
 
After all that is done and said, I would let them soak over night in a bucket of dechlor water.

-FHM
 
Take vinegar and drip it on the rock.

If it fizzes, the rock is not good and should not be put in your aquarium.

If it does not fizz, then you are good! :good:

-FHM
 
I dont know where my mom hide's her vinegar.
SHe's probably not gonna let me use it, as it's almost empty last time I saw it. (Last night? :D)
 
I would be very careful doing this. I found a rock from my driveway that i really liked... reminded me of marble. I did exactly what everyone is saying and within a few days of being in my tank... my PH went sky high.

I would leave it in water and test the PH... I think the rock I had must have been limestone or something which is very common where I live.

So just make sure you know what it is and monitor your tank closely!

I am lucky that I noticed the change, otherwise my fishies would have been doomed!
 
Alright.
The water's pretty cold now, do I make it hot again?

Cause the bacteria that didn't get killed by the hot water, would've been dormant by now? :) (Just to be safe)

Alright, i'm gonna do the ph thing. Wow, I have strips though. >__> I have no time to get bottles though. ):
Trust the magic strips, and i'll show you tomorrow the pics. :)
 
I usually bake my rocks in the oven. Hot water will work as well, but don't cook the rock on the stove, as they can explode. Its not very common, but its best to play on the safe side.
 
I usually bake my rocks in the oven. Hot water will work as well, but don't cook the rock on the stove, as they can explode. Its not very common, but its best to play on the safe side.

I would have caused smoke.
Like the time I microwaved a frozen cookie for two minutes.

yeah, smoke everywhere and I got out clean. Regret it, but the cookie was still burnt.
): I learn things along my way through my life.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top