Gang Valve

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

ebrcknrdg

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Do i have the screws things on tight or loose? Tried both but co2 not going through it either way. I feel so thick!

Tightening them up should restict the air/CO2 flow and loosening them should let more flow through.

What kind of CO2 system you using? If you remove the tube from the valve and put it under water is it bubbling?

Tightening them up should restict the air/CO2 flow and loosening them should let more flow through.

What kind of CO2 system you using? If you remove the tube from the valve and put it under water is it bubbling?

Sorry i forgot to mention that. Im using DIY CO2, one nutrafin canister and one 2 liter coke bottle. Have a bubble counter hooked up and a glass diffuser but its not even getting to the diffuser and its been running about 6 hours now. Its not even going through the bubble counter and only will when i squeeze the tube

Sorry i forgot to mention that. Im using DIY CO2, one nutrafin canister and one 2 liter coke bottle. Have a bubble counter hooked up and a glass diffuser but its not even getting to the diffuser and its been running about 6 hours now. Its not even going through the bubble counter and only will when i squeeze the tube

Do you have your bubble counter in line before the valve or after it? It sounds like there might be a problem with the mixture or there is a leak in the bottle which the CO" is being lost through.

If you take the tube that is coming out of the bottle/canister and put it under water does it bubble? if so connect the next part (IE check Valve) and try again. if it stops bubbling then you know where the problem is.

Thinking about it do you have any 1 way check valves? If so make sure you have them going in the right direction (sounds silly but easy mistake to mnake).

Do you have your bubble counter in line before the valve or after it? It sounds like there might be a problem with the mixture or there is a leak in the bottle which the CO" is being lost through.

If you take the tube that is coming out of the bottle/canister and put it under water does it bubble? if so connect the next part (IE check Valve) and try again. if it stops bubbling then you know where the problem is.

Thinking about it do you have any 1 way check valves? If so make sure you have them going in the right direction (sounds silly but easy mistake to mnake).

Right this is how its connected. Nutrafin canister and coke bottle connected by the gang valve, tube that comes out of gang valve goes into bubble counter. Tube that comes out of bubble counter goes up to tank an has a non return valve connected and yes its going the right way. (i blew through it so i knew it was the right way)

aaaa.jpg

SS100032.jpg

Is the testing for bubble method to test for any leaks?

Right this is how its connected. Nutrafin canister and coke bottle connected by the gang valve, tube that comes out of gang valve goes into bubble counter. Tube that comes out of bubble counter goes up to tank an has a non return valve connected and yes its going the right way. (i blew through it so i knew it was the right way)

aaaa.jpg

SS100032.jpg

I see now (was wondering where the gang valves came in :) ). Yeah its basically just to see where the flow is getting stopped. If you put the tube coming from the coke bottle under water and it bubbles you know that is ok. If you do the same with the canister and it works you know that is ok. Next connect both to the gang valve and put that under water and see if it bubbles and that it bubbles out of the right place.

I actually use a similar gang valve just as a connector to feed my CO2 line into my outflow pipe from my canister and found the CO2 leaks out of the screw thread before gettign to the barb for the tubing. I screwed the thumb screw bit off, put a bit of teflon tape around the thread to make a seal, then screwed it back on again which fixed the problem. I suspect that is what is happening here.

Edit: Can tell this set up was put together by a woman, its so neat and tidy!! My cupboard is a mass of tubing, cables and other bits and bobs just propped in place with whatever was handy at the time :)

aaaa.jpg

SS100032.jpg

I actually use a similar gang valve just as a connector to feed my CO2 line into my outflow pipe from my canister and found the CO2 leaks out of the screw thread before gettign to the barb for the tubing. I screwed the thumb screw bit off, put a bit of teflon tape around the thread to make a seal, then screwed it back on again which fixed the problem. I suspect that is what is happening here.

Edit: Can tell this set up was put together by a woman, its so neat and tidy!! My cupboard is a mass of tubing, cables and other bits and bobs just propped in place with whatever was handy at the time :)

I think ill be better off getting a metal gang valve. Ill try the teflon tape idea, doesnt it make it a bit bulky so that its hard to screw back in? I think the problem lies with the coke bottle or the silicon tubing im using on it. I drilled a hole in the lid which was smaller than the tubing and pulled the silicon airline through. I also sealed the top with sealant. Ive had the nutrafin canister running for a few weeks now so i know thats not the problem. As you say though it could be leaking out the gang valve itself.

As we speak bubbles are coming through the bubble counter (i loosened off the screws a little) Its only one every 15 seconds though. Is it possible to loosen the screws too much?

Yeah if you loosen them too much the CO2 just comes out from teh screw thread. I use teflon tape that is about 1cm across, 1 layer around did the trick for me.
You can sort of see it in the pic below:
223337640O296810350.jpg

The other thing I just thought of looking at the photo again is that the CO2 might be going from the canister into the coke bottle instead of both flowing into the bubble counter this could explain the slow rate of bubbles too, maybe the CO2 is filling the Coke bottle and it takes about 15 seconds to create enough pressure to push the CO2 through to the bubble counter.

I'm not sure how much pressure DIY kits create but if the pressure in the coke bottle is less then that in the bubble counter the CO2 will flow in that direction instead.

Hi, i have skim read this topic and i believe that the problem is either: You have not waited long enough for the pressure to build up, or you have a leak. I have exactly the same setup in my tank.. literally, 1 nutrafin canister and 1 2l bottle. I did not bother with the non-return valve as that makes it harder for the co2 to flow. Besides, your co2 wont exactly turn off if you get a power cut!

If it is not working tomorrow, i suggest the following...

Take apart everything, then reattach it all, but add the silicone between the connections. Let it dry in your boiler cupboard or outside if it is a nice day.... touch wood. This way you will eliminate the possibility of leaks. It says wait 2 days for the silicone to dry. That is rubbish, 1/2 a day is sufficient, but leave it 1 day to be safe, keeping it dry and warm. Then the next day re-try the diy co2. If it does not pick up within 6 hours, try the following:

Squeeze the plastic bottle to start the air coming out
Add some bi carb of soda to the mix
Shake the bottle like crazy! (you want a filter connected 1/2 way through, otherwise you pick up gunk.)

If it still don't work, ask yourself:

Did i use CO2 resistant cable
Did i use warm water when making the mix (you should use warm water)
Did i add sugar, dry activated yeast and bicarb of soda
Am i just plain unlucky

Or I need paul to take a photo of his set-up to see where i'm going wrong.

Yeah if you loosen them too much the CO2 just comes out from teh screw thread. I use teflon tape that is about 1cm across, 1 layer around did the trick for me.
You can sort of see it in the pic below:
223337640O296810350.jpg

The other thing I just thought of looking at the photo again is that the CO2 might be going from the canister into the coke bottle instead of both flowing into the bubble counter this could explain the slow rate of bubbles too, maybe the CO2 is filling the Coke bottle and it takes about 15 seconds to create enough pressure to push the CO2 through to the bubble counter.

I'm not sure how much pressure DIY kits create but if the pressure in the coke bottle is less then that in the bubble counter the CO2 will flow in that direction instead.

Sorry i can figure out that pic :/ Is the tape inside or outside?

You sure know your stuff! Im sure the pressure in the coke bottle is more than in the bubble counter? Its larger and is well......... full of reacting yeast?

Hi, i have skim read this topic and i believe that the problem is either: You have not waited long enough for the pressure to build up, or you have a leak. I have exactly the same setup in my tank.. literally, 1 nutrafin canister and 1 2l bottle. I did not bother with the non-return valve as that makes it harder for the co2 to flow. Besides, your co2 wont exactly turn off if you get a power cut!

If it is not working tomorrow, i suggest the following...

Take apart everything, then reattach it all, but add the silicone between the connections. Let it dry in your boiler cupboard or outside if it is a nice day.... touch wood. This way you will eliminate the possibility of leaks. It says wait 2 days for the silicone to dry. That is rubbish, 1/2 a day is sufficient, but leave it 1 day to be safe, keeping it dry and warm. Then the next day re-try the diy co2. If it does not pick up within 6 hours, try the following:

Squeeze the plastic bottle to start the air coming out
Add some bi carb of soda to the mix
Shake the bottle like crazy! (you want a filter connected 1/2 way through, otherwise you pick up gunk.)

If it still don't work, ask yourself:

Did i use CO2 resistant cable
Did i use warm water when making the mix (you should use warm water)
Did i add sugar, dry activated yeast and bicarb of soda
Am i just plain unlucky

Or I need paul to take a photo of his set-up to see where i'm going wrong.

I think im being impatient as usual. Im up to one bubble every 7 seconds, which is not ideal but least its in the right directon!

Would you recommend putting silicon around the tubes connecting to the gang valve?

I thought bi-carb was only if you had soft water? My water is very hard and ive not used it before and everything has worked fine. Oh and yes i use warm water! I have co2 tubing on everything apart from the coke bottle connecting to the gang valve, which is silicon. I couldnt find co2 tubing anywhere for a decent price.

Still take a photo of your set up if you dont mind, i love seeing behind the scenes and picking up tips

The plastic gang valves are just as good as the metal ones (and cheaper to replace).

They are wuite hard to gauge where the on off is.

What I did was turn them whilst blowing through it to get one closed and one open
The cut a little visible notch on the open one
Repeat for other one.
then I just connected it and had the visible notch pointing toward the line for open. and almost down clockwise for closed.

Pressurised is far too trouble free (once sorted) I don't get these little problems to solve these days and am quite bored. lol

Andy

The plastic gang valves are just as good as the metal ones (and cheaper to replace).

They are wuite hard to gauge where the on off is.

What I did was turn them whilst blowing through it to get one closed and one open
The cut a little visible notch on the open one
Repeat for other one.
then I just connected it and had the visible notch pointing toward the line for open. and almost down clockwise for closed.

Pressurised is far too trouble free (once sorted) I don't get these little problems to solve these days and am quite bored. lol

Andy

Well thats just far too complicated lol. Anyway things are happening but i suspect that my one way valve is slowing things down so ive taken that out, and i dont think the glass diffuser is going to work. Looks like im going to have to revert to plan B and connect via external filter. Can anyone explain how this is done?

Emma.

Which diffusor and 'one way' valve are you using?

Are you getting any bubbles at all?

What mix are you using in your DIY bottle.

Tell all

Andy

co2.jpg
Ok, so here we have my DIY CO2 mix. The spare is used just incase i need more CO2 for some reason. It has all been siliconed from the outside, not inside. This is because the wet silicone acted as a lubricent and whenever the co2 got to a slightly high pressure, the tubing simply slid off when siliconed from the inside. (you could silicone it from the inside, which is better, but then you would have to wait 1 day to let it dry before using it, and i'm impatient so that was never going to happen :p) Thats about it. Nothing fancy. It literally sits inside my cabinet out of sight with the filter and uv unit. I shake that daily and it keeps up my mix. I swap one every week. keeping the mixes 2 weeks at a time, which by then are totally run out.

co22.jpg
Next we have my filter for the CO2, and Yes, it is made from a urine sample bottle. My mum works in the NHS so she liberated one for me...unused obviously :D That too is siliconed, but the hole is tighter than the silicone too so it makes a tighter hold. This isnt a problem for you as you got a propper one probably off e-bay... Cheat :p The co2 in tube is extended slightly deeper into the bottle reducing the chance of co2 gunk going into the co2 out tube, but somehow some still manages to escape, (not much)

Finally... and i ran out of attachment space to show my bubbles, the diffuser. I added a cable tie to the end because the tube kept slipping with the last diffuser i had and fell off.

Thats about it. Ne more questions PM me, but i am going out now so i will reply at midnight or 1ish.

Most reactions

Back