Gambusia Affinis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Torrean

The Hairy Potter
Reaction score
I recently purchased 5 gravid gambusia affini from my lfs. I planned on using them to produce live food. I originally planned on keeping them in a 10 gallon but now I'm thinking about other options. I know they are very aggressive and are notorious fry eaters...but what if I put them in with shelldwelling cichlids? Some shellies are notoriously aggressive within there territory and I'm thinking that a top level fish like gambusia would round out the shellie tank I'm planning nicely.

My concerns are as follows: I want my shellies to breed. Would gambusia be able to eat the shelly fry since the parents keep them in the shells until they are a decent size and protect them during that time? Or would the mosquito fish devour the shellies as soon as the fry left the shell. Is this a generally bad idea? What do you guys think?

Would this go better in the cichlid forum?

Somebody on the forum (Fella?) kept shellies with Ameca splendens. If they were no threat to the shellie fry, I don't suppose the affinis would be. Possibly the other way round, if the affinis went nosing round the bottom.

My worry would be that the Gambusia affinis would drive the smaller cichlids nuts. These are very aggressive and robust livebearers and they are known fin-nippers. In a deep tank, the G. affinis may stay far away from the substrate to be safe, but I think you'd need a back-up plan just in case. On the other hand, if the shell dwellers are aggressive themselves, and punch at a weight above their size, then probably they'd be fine.

Cheers,

Neale

On the other hand, if the shell dwellers are aggressive themselves, and punch at a weight above their size, then probably they'd be fine.

They are, they do. Legend has it that there is a National Geographic video out there somewhere where one of these little cuties is spotted attacking a crocodile (albeit a small one). Have never been able to lay hands on it though.

I dont know how much of a problem the agression would be: Shellies can hold their own. If you wanted to meet the agression go for a Neolamp Brevis, or a Lamp Occ. Trust me they aint afraid of no fish, and no matter how agressive. Mine attacks my hand all the time and he doesnt even have a mate

Now I'm beginning to worry about the gambusia =)

I think I'm gonna give it a try. I'm planning on getting meleagris, or multies...occy are my second choice (considering that the other two are tied for first...

My gut feeling is that Gambusia affinis will work well with any moderately aggressive dwarf cichlid. They will eat baby fish if they can, but the parents should have no problems foiling their attacks, since both cichlids and livebearers are day-active animals. It's different with, say, Synodontis, which attack eggs and fry at night when the parents are far less effective.

Short of something that would actually eat them, Gambusia affinis should hold their own with anything, given enough space.

Cheers, Neale

If you are really worried about the gamby harassing id suggest melagris over multis just as the melagris are larger and therefore less succeptable to size based bullying.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back