FYI tip-cleaning internal filter

finfayce

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i have 3 PennPlax Cascade 600 internal
filters. today when i was cleaning one and the suction cups popped off, i discovered that the homes in which the
suction cups go contained a lot of goo!
the only access to the goo was into the holes. even though i am embarrassed to say i’ve had this filter for almost 2 years, and i never checked those openings i thought i would share my experience. you know for the sake of our fish

PheonixKingZ

Fish Gatherer
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
Every month I clean my 3 internal filters. They stink!

I learned how to take them apart on my own a few years back and every since then I have cleaned them every month.

Just a tip, if your filter GPH isn’t what it should be, it’s probably your filter parts jamming up because of the muck and goo. :)

OP
finfayce

finfayce

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Every month I clean my 3 internal filters. They stink!

I learned how to take them apart on my own a few years back and every since then I have cleaned them every month.

Just a tip, if your filter GPH isn’t what it should be, it’s probably your filter parts jamming up because of the muck and goo. :)
you are right- i take my filters apart every water change, but until the suction cups popped off i had no idea the holes also had goo. ;(. the hard part about the Cascade 600 is it’s so hard to get my hand around and press the release buttons at the same time.
i take a smooth tip drapery hook and put it in the edge of one of the release buttons. i guess we have to learn our filters in side and out.

PheonixKingZ

Fish Gatherer
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
I see. It’s hard for me to clean my smaller filter, because I have such big hands. Have you tried using Q-Tips?

trending

Most reactions - Past 7 days