Help me choose an Internal filter for a 29 gallon

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sharkweek178

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on an internal filter for a 29 gallon planted aquarium. I think it's between these two...

Penn-Plax Cascade 600 Fully Submersible Internal Filter – Provides Physical, Biological, and Chemical Filtration for Freshwater and Saltwater Aquariums​

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DJLFK/?tag=ff0d01-20

Fluval U3 Underwater Filter, Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Filter, A475​

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TKZ51E/?tag=ff0d01-20

Any thoughts (especially if you have experience with these brands)?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What are the intended fish for this tank? Water flow can be crucial for many species, either needed more or needing basically none. I've used the Fluval in a 29g and 33g and 40g, but I have also had a dual sponge filter in these same sized tanks, depending upon fish species.

I will say however that with plants, you do not want or need biological or chemical filtration, so that is a waste of money and could be problematic, depending.

I personally don't like internal filters cause I feel like they take up swimming space... That is just my personal opinion though

What are the intended fish for this tank? Water flow can be crucial for many species, either needed more or needing basically none. I've used the Fluval in a 29g and 33g and 40g, but I have also had a dual sponge filter in these same sized tanks, depending upon fish species.

I will say however that with plants, you do not want or need biological or chemical filtration, so that is a waste of money and could be problematic, depending.
It's for this tank. https://www.fishforums.net/threads/rookie-upgrade.483538/
Speaking of fish, for livestock the plan is my current green lantern platy (Xiphophorus maculatus) and honey gourami (Trichogaster chuna). I want to also have two schools/shoals; celestial pearl danios (Danio margaritatus) and panda corydoras (Corydoras panda). Finally, some Malaysian trumpet snails (Melanoides tuberculata).

The plan is to have an internal filter and a sponge filter to supplement it. I'm open to just using sponge filters. But it's new ground for me so I like the idea of having two different types of filters as well.
I agree about the chemical filtration. I'll just replace that with another layer of mechanical filtration.

I personally don't like internal filters cause I feel like they take up swimming space... That is just my personal opinion though
I considered a cannister. But I think I can place the internal so as to not take up too much space.

I considered a cannister. But I think I can place the internal so as to not take up too much space.
I personally use aquaclear filters. Not too expensive, not too big, and doesn't make a bunch of noise.
(Not trying to push you towards aquaclear, I just like them. If you like the look of internal filters and they actually do the job than go for it!)

I personally use aquaclear filters. Not too expensive, not too big, and doesn't make a bunch of noise.
(Not trying to push you towards aquaclear, I just like them. If you like the look of internal filters and they actually do the job than go for it!)
I'm a little concerned with a HOB because of the height of the tank. I might be able to find some kind of extension for the intake tube. But then I'll wonder if the pump is strong enough to handle the extra strain and if it would burn out on me. Plus, I want to be able to seal up the top of the tank a little more.

I'm a little concerned with a HOB because of the height of the tank. I might be able to find some kind of extension for the intake tube. But then I'll wonder if the pump is strong enough to handle the extra strain and if it would burn out on me. Plus, I want to be able to seal up the top of the tank a little more.
I have a 20g high. It runs like a champ.

I just posted in your older thread that you linked in an earlier post here, and you have some issues to resolve before you can consider the filter.

Water line?? What do you mean?? Like, the water from the output?
Like where the water comes up to in the tank. I was thinking that if I were to add an extention to the intake line, that would be more work for the pump because it works be pulling water from all the way down to where the intake is extended. But it doesn't work like that. If the pump isn't on, the intake tube will fill to whatever level the water is in the rest of the tank. That's where the pump is pulling the water from, whatever the length of the intake tube.

Like where the water comes up to in the tank. I was thinking that if I were to add an extention to the intake line, that would be more work for the pump because it works be pulling water from all the way down to where the intake is extended. But it doesn't work like that. If the pump isn't on, the intake tube will fill to whatever level the water is in the rest of the tank. That's where the pump is pulling the water from, whatever the length of the intake tube.
No the intake is near the middle of the tank. It is a tube that goes down.
Like this:
20220901_092521.jpg

See the filter intake?
(Sorry I'm not home so I couldn't take a special photo)

If you must go for an internal then look for one that has a heater included. I have 2 tanks with them and they look better than separate items.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back