Fungus Or Whitespot?! +Photos Included (Update)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RamboFish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
DID HAVE A NICE LONG POST HERE BUT THE EDITOR DELETED IT! OOps

Since there is almost a resolution now though, I can't be bothered to try and remember what I wrote to repost it.

imag0457b.jpg

The two of them now...

And just to compare ...this is them when spawning a few weeks ago. She is chasing him a lot now too. What's going on?! :/
imag0419v.jpg

Oh also, is it worth adding salt? I know it can be useful to add? If so how much?

I don't know, I can never tell much from pictures. Do some searching on columnaris and see what you think. It can look like fungus, but it is bacterial. I don't know what your meds contain as they don't seem to list the ingredients, but monitor your biological filter closely in case the meds crash your cycle. Is the other fish showing signs of the same thing. Is the white stuff right on the surface of the eye ball?

The mess are meant to be for whites and fungus. I also have myaxin for bacterial problems but you have to leave 4 days between those 2 meds :/. no its not on the actual eye just kind of above it.

Don't think its columnaris touch wood

Ok, I just wanted you to look into it because it is commonly misdiagnosed as fungus due to the nature of the bacteria. Does it look like it's getting any better?

Seems the same at the moment. Not treating till Friday now though as its meant to be treated days 1,2,3 &6. Really hoping it improves. If not I may speak to the lfs again and maybe try having a 4 day break (if they'll last :/) and try using the myaxin.

Male seems to also have a cut under his fin today :/

Sorry to hear this. Where abouts are you located? This way people can give you better advice on what meds might be available in your area :good:

I'm in the UK, my lfs is pretty good with meds ect. Just have no idea what it is that's wrong? The male is so pale bit I can only see the cloudy patches in certain lights. He is swimming in a darty way and is flicking white a bit. The female is full colour and is behaving as normal but has the funny thing on her face. They are both eating. :/ no idea. I would've thought the protozin would have done some good by now. It's the 2nd course if it and I have no carbon in my filter for the treating too.

How is columnaris treated?

Lowering the tank temp to slow the spread and administering antibiotics. Columnaris is a gram-negative bacteria. I would think that if it were columnaris it would be worse today, probably significantly. It's my understanding that it is pretty aggressive. You could probably put some melafix in the tank without fear of it interacting with the meds you are currently using. I have read countless reports of it working virtual miracles, I don't think it could hurt in this case.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back