Fungus on dead fish and water parameters

nymm1t

Reaction score
Hi all,

I went on vacation this past week. 9 days to be exact. I had 6 guppies in a fully cycled 29 gallon tank for about 2 weeks. I bought a TetraVacation feeding food block and placed that in my tank the night before my flight.

One thing was that 1 of my guppies was not looking good like a day or two before I had to leave. When we returned, we found 2 guppies dead. One was the weak one that I mentioned before. It was COVERED in fuzz which I learned to be fungus. Another was a smaller guppy who seemed fine for the most part before I left.

We quickly removed the dead fish and did a water test just to see how crazy the parameters would be. But to my surprise, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate were all at zero.

I'm confused because I thought dead fish release a ton of ammonia. I was thinking that the weak fish died, caused an ammonia spike, and killed the smaller guy. Then I was wondering if the fungus, being a plant, removed the nitrate, and the ammonia/nitrites were just being eaten by my bacteria. Does this seem reasonable?

Big tank, small fish, good filtration all add up to you got away with it. Is your tank planted if so that would have helped as well.

Most reactions

Back