Fungal Infection?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

As essjay said, water changes are the best thing you can do now no matter what caused it. Iā€™m sure changing the filter cartridge contributed to it. You have bacteria growing so keep up the water changes until parameters get back in line. You donā€™t need bottled bacteria because the bacteria is already there and growing.

I do 75% changes every week, regardless of whether I need to or not. If your tank is overstocked plants are essential. The bacteria in filters convert ammonia into nitrite and then nitrate, so adding filtration means more nitrate. Plants use ammonia as fertilser without turning it into nitrite or niitrate. That is an over simplification but my biggest tank is (very) heavily stocked and I never have the nitrate increase.

I do 75% changes every week, regardless of whether I need to or not. If your tank is overstocked plants are essential. The bacteria in filters convert ammonia into nitrite and then nitrate, so adding filtration means more nitrate. Plants use ammonia as fertilser without turning it into nitrite or niitrate. That is an over simplification but my biggest tank is (very) heavily stocked and I never have the nitrate increase.
The only reason I don't have live plants in this tank is because it was originally supposed to be my QT tank; as of the last 5 months it has been a nursery tank but I didn't want any chemicals killing the live plants.

I might add some of the guppies to my main tank which is planted. How old do they need to be in order to eat regular fish flakes?

If you grind up in your fingers they can eat at about 6 weeks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back