Fugu Obscura Puffer Fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

tropicman

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey everyone i was just wondering if anyone had any information on these as we have got some in the shop and when they came i noticed that they were puffing up and i already had a query in my head that i thought when puffers "puffed" it is caused by stress so i was just wondering if i was correct and if anyone else has some additional information on these puffers :good:

some quick questions...

what temperature is the puffer tank?
at what salinity are you keeping them?
do you have any aeration in that tank?
how many fish do you have in how many gallons?

i don't know anything specific to this species, but most of the other fugu puffers mentioned on here seem to be coldwater, high salinity brackish fish.

some quick questions...

what temperature is the puffer tank?
at what salinity are you keeping them?
do you have any aeration in that tank?
how many fish do you have in how many gallons?

i don't know anything specific to this species, but most of the other fugu puffers mentioned on here seem to be coldwater, high salinity brackish fish.

The high salinity coldwater fugu which is often mentioned is takifugu ocellatus, AKA the Peacock puffer. No one really knows much about this fish, as no one has been able to keep it alive in capitvity for long, but yes, it is presumed freshwater, it's collected in china.

Puffers usually puff up under stress yes. Sometimes they do it irregularly for seemingly no reason whatsoever, but if it's repeatedly, it's stress. Alternatively, its quite possible to misunderstand overfeeding for inflating, but as they're newly shipped, I would doubt this to be the case, unless you're overfeeding.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back