Fry Question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Opcn

Big fish
Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon tank with a female molly that has just had fry today. I moved out all my other fish (the male molly, a cherry barb, and two platys) besides the bottom feeders (a plecostamous and two cory catfish) which I left with the female mollie in the same tank as the fry. Is this okay or should I remove the bottom feeders as well? The temperature is about 80, and I am grinding Omega flake food into a fine powder and pinching that into the water to feed the fry. Is there anything else I should do, or can I just hope that the fry mature on their own? This is my first experience with baby fish so I am not sure how to keep them alive and well... help!

sounds like your tank was very overstocked, sounds like mine 2 months ago lol. the mom might eat the babies and the bottom feeders might too.

i would leave only the mollie and fry in the 5 gallon tank,i know it happends but ive never known many mollies to eat there own fry...but other species will defo eat them for sure :/ Just leave the mother in there for a few days so she can recover without being harrased

i would leave only the mollie and fry in the 5 gallon tank,i know it happends but ive never known many mollies to eat there own fry...but other species will defo eat them for sure :/ Just leave the mother in there for a few days so she can recover without being harrased

I've read people saying that their mollies don't eat their young, but I have 4 different types and they all eat young molly fry. I've seen it happen while I try to catch them. Even with lots of places for them to hide, none of mine survive unless I take them out for a few weeks.

I've read people saying that their mollies don't eat their young, but I have 4 different types and they all eat young molly fry. I've seen it happen while I try to catch them. Even with lots of places for them to hide, none of mine survive unless I take them out for a few weeks.

Well I just once again confirmed that some mollies eat their fry. I have a 30gal tank with about 4 mollies big enough to eat fry, and the female black molly just had them this morning, and I saved 3......when I went home at lunch there were none left in the 30 gal.

To be safe, don't have the molly in with the fry(if the fry are seperated then she's can stay) and your bottom dwellers will be fine and not eat your fry, unless the fry die and fall to the bottom then they'll just scavange off the remains. I often raise my fry(guppies, platies, mollies) with cories and ottos around no problem.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back