Fry help! Pls respond!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Caden Fisher

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all. I just got my first tank (20 gal) at Christmas and currently Iā€™ve got 4 zebra danios and 2 pearl danios. About a week after I got the fish, i noticed the zebras started laying eggs! Theyā€™ve lay eggs multiple times. Iā€™ve done lots of research so I siphoned out the eggs into a clear plastic bin. Itā€™s 15 in long, 10.5 in wide, and 6 inches tall and about two thirds full of water. I have infusoria already. The first eggs (and live babies)all died. A few days later I siphoned more eggs/babies out and they all died too. For the third time now I got out 19 eggs and two live babies. I really want to keep them alive. Any tips. I keep the water at 72 Fahrenheit. thanks! Iā€™ve run out of ideas. Iā€™ll leave a picture below ? p.s. the babies mostly just lay on the bottom of the tank. Every once in a while I see one of them start darting around for a few seconds then stop and sink back down. Is this normal? Pls respond. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 30
Try feeding them egg yolk as explained below

Try feeding them egg yolk as explained below
Ok! Thank you. Iā€™ll try it! Hope it works

About 3 weeks ago I got blue gourami fry and fead them egg yolk for the first week, and after that only brine shrimp. The first few days are crucial you need to feed them about 2-3 times per day and do water changes every day to every other day. Speaking from experience use an air hose to clean the tank I used my regular syphon with some filter media wrapped about so it doesn't suck the babies in but some still get caught and die. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Around three weeks ago, I got blue Gourami Fry and I fed them egg yolk for the FIST week, and after that only brine shrimp. The first few days are crucial you need to feed them about 2-3 times per day and do water changes every day to every other day. Speaking from experience use an air hose to clean the tank I used my regular syphon with some filter media wrapped about so it doesn't suck the babies in but some still get caught and die. Best of luck.

I siphoned out the eggs into a clear plastic bin. Itā€™s 15 in long, 10.5 in wide, and 6 inches tall and about two thirds full of water. I have infusoria already.
Where did you get the infusoria?
How did you make it?
How long did it take to culture?

75F is a better temperature for fry.

----------------------
The eggs hatch after a few days and the fry sit on the bottom or hang on the sides of the container for a few more days. Then they start swimming about. You start feeding them when they start swimming.

If you put food in there while they are still hanging off the sides, they won't eat it and depending on what you feed, it will pollute the water and kill them.

You need to keep an eye on water quality when feeding egg yolk because it can cause ammonia levels in the water. An air operated sponge filter that is established (has good bacteria) and is running slowly, will help keep ammonia levels at 0ppm and aerate/ circulate the water.

True infusoria cultures take a month or more to culture. If you don't have an infusoria culture, then boiled egg yolk is the next best thing.

The following link has information about culturing food for baby fish, including green water, infusoria, egg yolk and other things. You normally start the cultures a couple of months before breeding the fish so you have food ready to go when the fry are swimming.

Help! I think the babies are dead! They didnā€™t even make it to free swimming stage. Free swimming means actively swimming in the water all the time right? Not just little bursts of energy and then sinking back down to the bottom for a few hours which is what mine do?

Help! I think the babies are dead! They didnā€™t even make it to free swimming stage. Free swimming means actively swimming in the water all the time right? Not just little bursts of energy and then sinking back down to the bottom for a few hours which is what mine do?
Pls respond! I donā€™t know what to do

Free swimming is actively moving around in the water, usually just under the surface.

When the babies make a hop or jerk about a few times and sink to the bottom, they are still using their yolk sac and are not free swimming.

-------------------
Test the water quality for ammonia. The biggest killer of baby fish is ammonia and starvation. They don't need food yet if they are still sitting on the bottom, but any ammonia will kill them.

Make sure the temperature is warm enough for them.

Free swimming is actively moving around in the water, usually just under the surface.

When the babies make a hop or jerk about a few times and sink to the bottom, they are still using their yolk sac and are not free swimming.

-------------------
Test the water quality for ammonia. The biggest killer of baby fish is ammonia and starvation. They don't need food yet if they are still sitting on the bottom, but any ammonia will kill them.

Make sure the temperature is warm enough for them.
Ok. Thanks! Should I do a full water change to make sure there isnā€™t ammonia? I donā€™t think there is any but Iā€™ll still try. Thank you. The temp is 73-74 ā€™f. Will they make enough waste while they eat their egg sack to be of any consequence?

Last edited:
They won't be making much if any waste/ ammonia while using their yolk sac.

Don't change too much water unless it is exactly the same chemistry and temperature to the container they are in. I used to do 50% water changes each day with water from the original breeding tank. After they are a few weeks old I did bigger water changes.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back