Fry Growth Rate

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
8,209
Reaction score
5
Points
38
Location
South Africa
Am I doing something wrong??. ... I always find that some fry from the same batch grow a lot faster than others to the extent that I have to sort them for size practically every third day to prevent the larger ones from devouring their smaller brothers and sisters. This is particularly relevant to Angels, Bettas and various Gouramis...... They are exposed to identical conditions and are all fed on live brine shrimp.
 
same as all living creatures, each will develop at there own rate :) the amount of food each gets will always vary slightly.
 
Different strains of angelfish will grow at different rates. However, most should grow at a similar rate. I would say they need more food. The dominant ones are getting more food than the weaker ones and this is allowing them to grow faster. The faster they grow the bigger they get and the more food they get during feeding.
Also make sure you do daily water changes to dilute any hormones that are released by the growing fry. Young fish produce a hormone to inhibit the growth of others around them and this will also contribute to the dominant ones growing faster than the weaker ones.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top