Frozen Foods

JustKia

Fish Herder
Joined
Nov 18, 2008
Messages
1,068
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Warwickshire, UK
I bought some frozen foods, only problem is each cube is way too big to feed my fish.
I presume once defrosted I can put it into a little tupperware container and pop it in the fridge for a couple days?
But what about bloodworm? One cube would be at least half a dozen (or more) meals for the danio's and I understand they shouldn't have bloodworms more than a couple times a week. There's no way that a defrosted cube is going to "keep" for 3 weeks in the fridge... is there?
I have no way off cutting the frozen cube in half first.

What do other people do?
Does the surplus end up as wastage?
 
Chop if it half using a sharp knife, if you defrost it goes off quickly and smells bad.

Course make sure you have someone supervising when using a shape knife ;)
 
chop it in half stick it in a drop of warm water in a cup/glass/jar once defrosted strain it through a net. The frozen food wont keep once its defrosted you really need to use it asap

The worst smelling one by far has to be the Gamma Brineshrimp with garlic. My fish love it tho
 
buy some gamma food, you can buy it as a slab and slice an appropriate amount off, and every single item (food wise) produced by gamma is treated with gamma rays to kill all disease and/or bacteria
 
Course make sure you have someone supervising when using a shape knife ;)
Shall I ask my hubby? On second thoughts better not he's accident prone :lol:

Will have another stab (no pun intended) at slicing through with a chef's knife, maybe I was just being weak and weedy :blush:
 
Or if knives are too pointy, perhaps putting it in a plastic bag wrapped in a tea towel and bashing it with a hammer/rolling pin will shatter it up.
 
Fast and easy way to break any frozen cube is a simple ice pick. Put the point in the middle of the cube resting on a cutting board and press down gently. Then go pick up all the pieces that flew around the kitchen.
 
If you get more tanks and enough fish, 1 cube will go round nicely, lol.
No wastage. :angel:
 
If you get more tanks and enough fish, 1 cube will go round nicely, lol.
No wastage. :angel:

Funny you should mention that...
Just cycling an extra filter in the community tank, to prepare a second tank for a male betta (potentially to be accompanied by a few pygmy cories and african dwarf frogs) :blush:
 
I tend to sit a sharp nice with the blade in a jug of freshly boiled water for a couple of minutes before cutting my frozen daphnia cubes up. Then it's like the provebial "hot knife through butter" (well almost, it's certainly a lot easier!) :D :good:
 
If you get more tanks and enough fish, 1 cube will go round nicely, lol.
No wastage. :angel:

Funny you should mention that...
Just cycling an extra filter in the community tank, to prepare a second tank for a male betta (potentially to be accompanied by a few pygmy cories and african dwarf frogs) :blush:

What exquisite taste!
May I say 'squee!'
Hoping for pics - hint!!!???
 
LOL
Well, hubby saw the male bettas and fell in love (can you blame him) and I wanted froglets in the community tank but apparently they don't like fast flow water - so there was only one solution...
Will take piccies once it's all set up - but going to be a few weeks yet =)
 
Pygmy cories are The Absolute Best - although so are a bunch of others, actually, including bettas, of course.
I adore those pygmy frogs - they're on my rather lengthy - and lengthening - wanna-have someday list, and have been for a year or two.
And the next best thing to having them yourself is seeing pics of other peoples.
Can't wait!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top