Frozen Bloodworm

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Arfie

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Right then, after reading on here how much fish like live food (makes sense I prefer fresh food to processed crap) I decided to get some frozen food.

I've got a Gibbicep, Harlequin Rasbora's, Neon Tetra's and Peppered Cory's.

Bought some frozen bloodworms in the little ice cube trays, defrosted one and chucked them in expecting a feeding frenzy, they seemed less interested than they are with flake food.

A few of the Tetra's and Harlequins sniffed round and a few took a few in and they were too long for them, they swam about with half a worm hanging out, looking like a cigar for about 15 mins before managing to finish it off, the rest sank to the bottom, Gibbicep and Cory's swam over and ignored them.

Some went during the night, but only about half, the rest went during the next day and night and following morning.

This raises a few questions for me.

1) are they the wrong food for my tank?
2) should I put fewer in?
3) if so can I store the remainder after defrosted and how?
4) should I chop them into smaller pieces (not something I want to do :sick: )
5) have I just got weirdo fish?

I want to spoil my little fella's, but none of the recommended treats seem to interest them, cucumber, peas, bloodworms and algae wafers all cause indifference in my tank, they gobble flakes and granules though :huh: .

Your advice would be appreciated.

Arfie

Fish need time to adapt to a new food. I would chop them into smaller pieces, and give them time to get used to it. Soon, they'll be going ga-ga for it. I've never met a fish that didn't like frozen bloodworms.

Yes try choping the cube in half or into a quarter. And i don't no if you do this allready but make sure to defrost them because sometimes if you feed your fish food thats still frozen it can give them digestive problems. What i usually do is put the bloodworms in a little mesuring cup or something like it and turn my sink on really hot then fill up the cup. then let it sit for about a minute and then it should be way easyer for the fish to rip peices off. It should also taste better seeing how the flavor isn't rock hard. So try doing that

i have some of the same fish as you and i have to chop the cube in half and give half in the morning and the other at night. but my fish love bloodworms:)

Yep, they need time to decide that frozen bloodworm is the fishie equivalent of ambrosia.

When I first started using it, I started with a quarter cube which took a few hours to be finished.

Now two whole cubes are gone in a matter of minutes.

Except for our ChacaChacas & Dragon Puffers, all of the fish in our tanks love their frozen bloodworm

I just love to see those cories suck em up and the tetras swimming around smoking their cigars.

It might be not your thing to start chopping up blood worms but it isen't that bad. Try using a spare fork... it's better than your fingers :lol: Just don't use that fort again...
I always have to chop up bloodworms for my guppy fry!

OK then,

I'll keep feeding them bloodworms until they get a taste for it.
I'll only use half or quarter cube until they do get the taste for it.
I'll chop them up with a fork (Genius that, cheers, I had visions of having to become Gordon Ramsey with a chef's knife ;))

And Riley, yes I defrosted them thoroughly, I put the cube (in it's tray) in a some hot water for 10 mins till they went nice and slimey and were slightly warm to the touch.

Might try some daphnia, brine shrimp and tubifex in the future.

Can't wait till the tub in the freezer is found though :rofl:

Thanks for your advice.

Arfie

Most reactions

Back