Frightened Platys

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

steve5064

Reaction score
My tank (150 litres) has been set up for a month - 4 platys in for 3 weeks, another 6 for 6 days - all seem very healthy and happy with much energy.
Came home tonite and all 10 are hiding and frightened for no apparent reason at all. Water tested - ammonia 0.6, nitrite 0.0, nitrate 7, pH 7.5. The few fry born in the last week seem healthy.

Any ideas anybody?

Did you do a fishless cycle? Or run the tank for a week before putting the first 4 platys in? You have ammonia present but that should be 0 so your tank hasn't finished cycling.

Given that you only had your tank set up for about a week before you added fish, it's not cycled! I doubt that your fish are frightened, they're probably feeling a bit sick.

You now need to do a cycle with fish, which means big water changes (50%) daily until it does cycle OR return the fish and do a fishless cycle! Read the link below for info' on cycling with fish.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=175355

Did you do a fishless cycle? Or run the tank for a week before putting the first 4 platys in? You have ammonia present but that should be 0 so your tank hasn't finished cycling.

Yes I set the tank up for 3 weeks before adding fish. Is the very small amount of ammonia causing the behaviour? Is it just a question of patience now? I am adding "cycle" on a regular basis - 4 capfuls a week.

Yes I set the tank up for 3 weeks before adding fish. Is the very small amount of ammonia causing the behaviour? Is it just a question of patience now? I am adding "cycle" on a regular basis - 4 capfuls a week.
Those sorts of additives don't work.

Just keep doing daily water changes to keep your amonia at 0, and read the thread on cycling that I gave you. Good luck

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back