Friends Now Fighters!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ADW1988

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Evening all.

I've had my tank set up now 4 months I'd guess. 60L freshwater.

I've noticed that my 2 platy have started fighting! They were best buddies but I went to watch them this evening and they have started fighting!
One is a white Mickey Mouse platy, the other is a yellow and red hi fin platy! I saw them both and fell in love!! Unfortunately it seems that as far as the love affair goes. These guys hate each other :(. Well certainly on tonight's showing.

Both are going for each other rather than just one!!

I can't fathom why? Is my tank too small? There's live plants, air stone hiding places the lot!!

I haven't noticed it before tbh... Only tonight but looking at the hi-fin's fins they look a bit damaged.

I don't know what to do as I don't want them hurting each other or stressing each other :/..

My water is fine I test every week.. 0ammonia, 0 nitrites and nitrates fine. So it can't be bad water stats making them aggressive. I do 40% changes religiously every week as it's easy to do in a 60L tank..
I've turned out the lights to try and calm them down but want to see if it's stopped them. :/..

Any suggestions.. Could they have got too big?
Should I post a pic so someone can help me sex them? Are 2 males/2 females aggressive?

I noticed tonight my neons schooling a but more. They used to swim freely but the platys swimming from side to side going for each other .

I'm reluctant to lose them from the tank, but any suggestions v welcome and if more info/ pics are needed please let me know..

Thanks

A picture to sex them would be grate. Though it's simple to do yourself. Look at their anal fins (The fin right by their bum) If it looks rather like a stick, you have a male. If it looks more fan line then you have a female. If you're not sure bring the picture on and we'll help.
I had a female that turned aggressive because there were two males and only her in the tank. She got so fed up she chased the males around non stop. It could also be that they are the same gender and trying to figure out who is dominant. I've had both genders fight amongst themselves before.

ideally you should have 1 male to 3 females cos they might not be fighting but just mating. But if the ratio is wrong then the females will get stressed with all of the attention

KrystaK said:
A picture to sex them would be grate. Though it's simple to do yourself. Look at their anal fins (The fin right by their bum) If it looks rather like a stick, you have a male. If it looks more fan line then you have a female. If you're not sure bring the picture on and we'll help.
I had a female that turned aggressive because there were two males and only her in the tank. She got so fed up she chased the males around non stop. It could also be that they are the same gender and trying to figure out who is dominant. I've had both genders fight amongst themselves before.

westonsupermanc said:
ideally you should have 1 male to 3 females cos they might not be fighting but just mating. But if the ratio is wrong then the females will get stressed with all of the attention

Thanks very much will look into it.

Unfortunately not home till this eve (UK time) so will look then and if not will post a picture.

Cheers peeps

westonsupermanc said:

KrystaK said:
It's the Mickey Mouse platy. It's really going for the yellow hi fin. Just caught it sucking up it's fin. I don't want them to get hurt! Someone is obviously not happy.

Will keep trying with the photos
Here are couple more. Apologies for the quality :/ the yellow one is really running scared... Or swimming :/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 184
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 201
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 178
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 182
Judging from those pics you have 2 males.

For future reference this pic shows the difference nicely.

SexingPlatys.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back